I am sooo sick of algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have brown algea growing on sand and I have no clue where it is comming from. I feed every other day. I have no phos in my tank and my tank is 6 months old. Its not the slime algea either. Could it be my pc lights? I have only had them for about 5 months.

could be. have you had the algea since you have had the lights? and whats the color temp of the bulbs?

also whats the light cycle set at? hrs on, hrs off?

i thought brown algea was just a fact of life in having a salt water tank
i clean my glass about once a week but dont see a huge outbreak like i did see the red slime

The lights are on for about 7 hrs a day. I have had the algea since I bought the lights but it has gone away...This time it is not

I just got my Power Compact last week, and have noticed a increase in brown alage on my sand, its not slimy or hairy, just looks like darker sand. How big is your clean up crew, im thinking of increasing mine, my hermits are hard at work, but i think i need a bigger team, i only have like 6-8.

are you using RO/DI water or tap?

I know several folks around here using tap and they get large brown algae outbreaks

Yes I am using ro/di water. My nitrates and all are all in check. What kind of clean up crew should I have for this type of algea?

My nitrites are 0 phos 0 but i dont have a silacate test. I have about 40-50 sand sifting snails in there

I see you have a pink spotted Goby but mine is not much of a sifter. Try a dragon Goby. Mine does a good job of sifting entire tank. How often are you feeding. Maybe you are feeding the algea. just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom