I hate coral banded shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamingonhot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like the title says!

1. It ate half of my scooter dragonet a while back
2. It swims to the surface and rips teh flakes from my clownfishes mouth!
3. It rips my fishes fins.
4. I was doing a little cleaning of my tnak and it attacked me!

Anyone else have an annoying cbs like this? My lfs has a few and they look so peaceful and hes never had any trouble with them from what he told me...

Im abot ready to smash mine with a hammer...once I get a chance to go abck to that lfs it's gone...

Trade it in for a peppermint shrimp or two instead. Mine (Jacques) is very playful and peaceful! Very enjoyable to watch him.

I like the skunks better. My peppermints hide more often than not. As for the CBS, I've heard enough bad stuff about them that I wouldn't be inclined to get one, no matter how cool they might look!

My CBS is awesome. Never bothers anything exact my arm (don't get too close!!) but it will definitely defend himself. Never comes to the surface to get food either. The worse thing he ever does is steal food from the anenomes and sometimes the brain coral. Otherwise, all good. Only bad things, is not that active, hides out a lot...

My skunk cleaners are a pest if I try to target feed a coral etc. I hit and chase them away with a dial rod and they come right back. :evil: I kind of wish I only had 3 or 4 instead of 10. They do a good job of keeping the tank clean though.

My CBS is the best one ever, I believe! Knowing he's king of the tank, he parades back and forth in front and across the rocks all day long, showing off. He has never bothered a soul: no fish, no invert, no hands! Love him to pieces!

BTW, we also have a skunk cleaner shrimp and five peppermints. The peppermints are getting big...for some reason I thought they stayed under an inch or so. Wrong! All are active and visible most of the time. I like the shrimp just as well as the fish, if not more sometimes! I'd also like to add a fire shrimp. What brilliant color!

Mine is great. It does not bother anything. In fact, it likes to clean my copperband butterfly. Sounds like you may have gotten one that is a bit sassy.
See if the LFS will trade you for a fire shrimp or a skunk cleaner.

I'll have to see. He may not since he sells his shrimp for like 35 dollars...money grubber......

I would love to trade it in. It ticks me off all the time now...
It's kind of sad when it swims to the top of the water and steals the flakes lol.

I have a CBS in my 75G that is huge. The tank is quite stocked with fish and coral but the shrimp keeps to itself all day. I have a 29G with a pair of clowns, 2 pep shrimp and a much smaller CBS and again, no problems *as long as* nothing encroaches on its territory. Im sure some shrimp's personalities do indeed differ, however, the 2 I have feed at night, unless I dump food in. This aggressive behaviour yours is showing is pretty odd for a CBS in proper conditions.
This begs the question....Are you over stocked for the size tank you have? Could it be that there are simply no 'safe' places for him to hang around all day with out feeling threatened? Theres no changing your mind if you think you should take it back, take it back. However, try not to make the same mistake twice. It is noted on just about every description that CBS can be somewhat aggressive due to territory issues. Peps and Skunks are not really in the same class, if you will, as CBS so if you were looking for something passive (With the obvious lack of claws to defend itself) then maybe the CBS was just a simple mistake. When it comes to agressive species, size *does* matter..The size of your tank that is..

GL!

Trade it in for a peppermint shrimp or two instead. Mine (Jacques) is very playful and peaceful! Very enjoyable to watch him.

I thought you were only suppose to keep one of these in a tank

It just voracious I guess! It eats constantly though so I don't see why is so intent on getting the food right away.

And yes tank size is an issue. This tank is the first sw Ive ever set up. It's a trial and error one with my 2 impulse purchases, the dwarf fuzzy lion and cbs. This is a 10 gallon too lol.

In a bit im getting a seperate 10 gallon for the dwarf fuzzy lion until I can get him to the lfs along with the cbs (hopefully). After that my current 10 gallon will just be my current clownfish and the two hermits ,and the 10 gallon that the dwarf may be in will prolly have another clown or be a temporary breeding tank for some clowns.

Im getting kind of clown crazy here lol.

I should call that store tomorrow and see if they take trade ins at all....

Back
Top Bottom