I HATE feeding my aquarium frozen food!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i tried again, although painfully, to feed my fish/corals frozen brine shrimp without much success. i know that frozen food is more natural and more nutritious packed. i have heard so many good things about feeding frozen food, especially for those picky eaters. yet for some reason my reef inhabitants, with the exceptions to the shrimps, are NOT going for the frozen food. they go CRAZY over flakes and pellets.

also, is there trick of getting the brine shrimps to sink? i tried to feed some of my lps as well and the instant that the food comes out of the turkey baster, it drifted upward and doesn't come down at all. i tried both to squirt as much food as possible within a second AND slowly releasing the food until the feeders of the lps came out, but the brine shrimp just kept on floating upward:banghead:

ps. i had the powerheads and the skimmer off during feeding

Perhaps your fish does not know the brine is food. You can tell depending if they spit out the brine or just swims right by them.

Perhaps your fish does not know the brine is food. You can tell depending if they spit out the brine or just swims right by them.

my clown is very hesitant to eat it. took forever it felt like, other fishes did ignore the frozen food, which is contradictory because you would think they're more attracted to their natural food

You should try mysis. not brine.

i had a bad experience with PE mysis shrimp. When i opened it and thaw it out, i felt like they've disintegrated. you can tell a brine shrimp is a brine shrimp because it's all in one piece whereas i cant tell the mysis shrimp i had was mysis shrimp or something else

i had a bad experience with PE mysis shrimp. When i opened it and thaw it out, i felt like they've disintegrated. you can tell a brine shrimp is a brine shrimp because it's all in one piece whereas i cant tell the mysis shrimp i had was mysis shrimp or something else

how is this a bad experience? They cut them up into smaller bites for the fish... Do you only eat whole cows when you order a burger? :ROFLMAO:

how is this a bad experience? They cut them up into smaller bites for the fish... Do you only eat whole cows when you order a burger? :ROFLMAO:

Oh is that right? I only got mysis shrimp after trying out the brine shrimp so I thought the mysis shrimp should be similar to brine shrimp in terms of "presentation"

Oh is that right? I only got mysis shrimp after trying out the brine shrimp so I thought the mysis shrimp should be similar to brine shrimp in terms of "presentation"

I think you can buy whole mysis- but they're a larger shrimp. I would recommend getting a small pack of Rod's food. The original blend. That's fish candy.

I have jumbo mysis shrimp. It still has tiny particles when I thaw it out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try soaking the frozen food (whether it's mysis or brine) in garlic. I usually let mine soak for at least 1/2 hour in garlic and selcon then feed. All my tank inhabitants go nuts. Also remember to thaw and rinse the food in rodi water before hand, the juices will add to nitrates and phosphates.

Why buy prepared food? Far better and more cost efficient to make your own. Only thing better than that is live foods.

Greg, that's because i travel a lot for my job and most of the time i just have some flakes/pellets in the automatic feeder. when i do come home, i try to feed frozen. i have subscribed to the thread that Mr.X made about DIY fish food just for future references.

Yes, we both believe in home made foods. Several threads on this forum about it. I understand your traveling. But when home, it's as easy to feed home made food as it is dried foods and it's much better for the fish. And cheaper. Well maybe not easier than flake foods. :)

Last edited:
I slice my frozen cubes up and divide them into individual portions. I put this into individual to go dressing cups with lids and I add ground up flakes, just a tiny bit, and add a teaspoon of tank water. Than I pop them in the freezer. This is so my son can feed the fish when I am out if town. He just thaws it for about 5 minutes, first. Has worked out well for 2 months .

My clowns like brine shrimps like candies. Sometime they don't eat flake food as they're manipulating me to give them more brines shrimps instead flakes ^.^

I slice my frozen cubes up and divide them into individual portions. I put this into individual to go dressing cups with lids and I add ground up flakes, just a tiny bit, and add a teaspoon of tank water. Than I pop them in the freezer. This is so my son can feed the fish when I am out if town. He just thaws it for about 5 minutes, first. Has worked out well for 2 months .

I'm single and live by myself. my girlfriend is not going to drive 1hr just to feed my fish especially when she thinks I spent too much time on the tank already

Back
Top Bottom