I have cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikefish_

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have Cyanobacteria and I syphoned as much out as I good clean it off the rocks and bought phosguard to help prevent it what else can I do? I had almost all the cyano put of my tank after cleaning and now it's all coming back

Last edited by a moderator:
Last water change was Tuesday when should I do the next? And my flow in the tank is strong it's kicking up sand wherever I aim it I aimed it towards the back for now and it's bouncing off the back wall...I could aim it right in the front where it's growing

do a water change once a week, reduce feedings, and reduce the amount of time the lights are on also clean the filter pad when you do your water changes this should all be helpful to reduce the cyno. you could also dose vodka or vinegar to help reduce the nitrates and phosphates if the above suggestions don't work.

It always shows up in low flow areas in my tanks. I've got a little patch about 3"x1" in the front corner of my temporary reef tank that disappeared after I got more flow going to that area. I siphoned it and it never came back.

It isn't all about flow. Cyano feeds off of nutrients, just like algae. Increasing flow and red slime remover is only masking the cause.
Are you using tap water? How often are you feeding? What is the tank size and livestock?

I'm not using tap water I don't feed cause I have 2 snails 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit crab and I have a 29 biocube

Well there are your nutrients. Large water changes to bring the nitrates and such down. The red slime remover can push the issue out of the way while the nitrates start to drop.

I'm not using tap water I don't feed cause I have 2 snails 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit crab and I have a 29 biocube

You know you have to feed the shrimp right? There not going to eat algae and honestly if your having algae issues you probably have high nitrates which can kill the shrimp so I would rehome them until your tank is stable.

I have 0 nitrites and nitrates tho

Look, I don't mean this in a rude way, but we have all given you advice and maybe you should take action in yours. Do bigger water changes, use RO/DI, you know you have a nutrient issue if it keeps showing it. You have 3 threads open with multiple people saying the same. Write down are advice on a piece of paper and try out each method till one works.

SW tanks are a learning experience.

your previous posting said that you were not using rodi and you were using filter pads and bio balls, all are contributing to you high nutrients. The filter pads need changed out every day if you are going to use them, bio balls should be removed, and rodi is a must. Until you correct those 3 things, you are never going to win the battle

I heard someone say do big water changes I had the same issue for almost a year I recently took the advice and did a massive water change and voila nitrates down to 5 ppm. I tried chemiclean and 10g water changes every other day and nothing until the massive water change.

I also had a sump with filters and bio balls I ditched them all. I love how my tank is going. I was very frustrated with the red slime

Back
Top Bottom