I have had it with this Algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
going on 2 and half months now and this white fuzzy "stuff" is now covering over 80% of my expensive real reef rock. tried gfo, phosguard, big water changes, 0 tds water, feeding once every 3 days, no frozen food, no nothing has worked to get rid of it. Scrubbing it off the rocks just makes it spread. This didn't start till I added Microbacter7! stopped that a month ago... Help!

o0wkma.jpg

e693kg.jpg

Slow down with all the rapid changes to start with.

You added a bacteria supplement, may I ask why?
Looks like bacterial bloom to me.

Let it die off by not adding any more supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Listening to this dumb guy at my lfs. Said whenever adding real reef to dose some microbacter7 to help colonize it faster. Been a total nightmare. Rock was beautiful and now looks like crap.

Tank is fully cycled, has fish and corals and they are doing good. Its when I added the real reef rock that this started.

Your established rock would've been sufficient to seed the new rock.

It will go away as the bacteria burns itself out - so to speak-

Bacteria dosing is a strategy used by some sps keepers in a ultra low nutrient system. I don't think it should be messed with freestyle.

the lfs is making his dime on those bottles.

Yea I should have known better. I feel so dumb cause I knew better. It seems to be getting worse. I called the guy back and he said use some Api Melafix to get rid of the bacteria mat. Just another gimmick in my opinion.

I'd just run some GAC, (don't know if it will do anything, but won't harm.

Treat it like a carbon source overdose.

Water changes are alway good.

Also- get some good surface aeration going, may have lowered your oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom