I need experienced advice on Carpet Anenome, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidafius

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had one for about 8 months, and it is a monster. But.....

in the last 2 months, i've lost 5 green chromis, 1 mandarin, 1 pajama cardinal, catalina goby, 2 peppermint shrimp. And, i had almost all of the mushrooms in 1 specific area of my reef disintegrate.

All except the peppermints were new additions in those 2 months. I still have all of the fish that i had before, and all the softies are fine, scallop is fine, and brain is fine.

Now the question: Should my carpet anenome be suspect for their deaths? Everything else is normal, and they were all drip acclimated. I'm just curious about possible toxin releases from the anenome?

yes, the carpet can be blamed for the fish death's unless you found their corpses..

Hara said:
yes, the carpet can be blamed for the fish death's unless you found their corpses..
If you did find corpes as Hara suggested also make not of their appearance. Anemones will spit out foods too large to digest. With these kinds of animals in the tank it is also a good idea to run with carbon if you do not already. Amenones emit a fair amount of nematocysts into the water and the accumulation can be harmful but will moreso bother corals than be a concern with fish.

Cheers
Steve

Yes, my carpet regurgitated the porcupine puffer, but the fish that Kidafius mentioned seem small enough to be considered food for any carpet.

there were no bodies found anywhere. just neverending searches for "lost" fishes. *sigh* I think at about 13-15", the carpet is getting too big for the tank anyway. *sigh* It just hurts when its someone you love........... :cry:

Back
Top Bottom