I need to FRAG - NO FRAG TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

OK.. Title says it all. I need to frag a Zoas colony and my Xenia soon and I do not own a Frag tank..
History:
I had bought a medium size Zoas Frag in March 09. When I mounted it in my tank, a small piece broke off and I glued it to another small chunk of LR and placed it in a different location. Well, now that small little piece has covered the rock and I'd like devide it up into 5-10 frags.

My Xenia is spreading like crazy. I'd like prune them a bit as some of the branches are getting close to my GSP colony.

So, as mentioned... I do not have a Frag Tank. However, I do have some space down in my sump. This afternoon, I fabricated a 8x12 tray out of Eggcrate to further divide my sump. I just need to figure out how to light it. Anyone know of a small light that would be able to keep some Zoas, Xenia, and possibly GSP frags alive? I was thinking maybe a small CF fixture like for a NANO and just mount it sideways over the tank. It's only a 20L tank fo from front to back it's 12inches.

Here is a pic of what I did:
19852-albums720-picture5015.jpg

What is the wattage of the cf fixture? Zoas, Xenias and GSP don't really need alot of light. You could just put the Frags back into the DT until you are ready to do whatever you wanted with them.

What is the wattage of the cf fixture? Zoas, Xenias and GSP don't really need alot of light. You could just put the Frags back into the DT until you are ready to do whatever you wanted with them.
That's just it... I don't have any specific light in mind.

I'll prob just frag em and put them in the DT for now. There is a guy on my local board that makes all sorts of stuff out of acrylic. Maybe I'll see if he can make me a nice frag rack for the DT. Probably be cheaper then a light and I can use it until I'm ready for a Frag Tank

someone on this forum made a frag rake out of eggcrate and an old magnet glass cleaner. Do a search here...I found the person: justonemore20.....

Last edited:
someone on this forum made a frag rake out of eggcrate and an old magnet glass cleaner. Do a search here...I found the person: justonemore20.....

Thanks Thnicat... I searched the web today and actually found a bunch of examples. I used an old Mag-Float 30 and made myself and nice little frag rack for the DT tank.

And.. Tonight, I Fragged my FIRST coral (Zoas).. Exciting stuff!!!!! :)

Nice. When do we get pics?
lol.. well.. tank is sleeping now.. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

I'll be amazed if they open.. :)

My wife swears I killed the colony. She was all:
You can just cut them like that?
Look at them all, they are all closed!!
Wait...Your using SUPER GLUE?? Your going to kill everything in your tank...

Jeez Man.. No faith in her Old Man.. If she only knew how much time I spent researching this.. I think I watched EVERY Youtube video on fragging over the last 2 days.

if your just trimming down, give um away or sell um! trade um at your LFS almost every LFS i know of will gove you a credit for them..im always looking for frags too lol(what ya got?)

Jeez Man.. No faith in her Old Man.. If she only knew how much time I spent researching this.. I think I watched EVERY Youtube video on fragging over the last 2 days.

So i'm sure you have heard this in your research, but i would rather you hear it twice then take a chance you have not heard it at all. When you frag zoas you have to make sure you be careful. The have a chemical defense that will really make you a very unhappy camper if you get it in your eyes or mouth.

Good point. The poison is called "palyotoxin" & there is no known cure. So wash your hands ....better yet "WEAR GLOVES and EYE protection".

Yeah.. I wore gloves and glasses last night when I did it.

All the frags are open and looking good. There's a guy on the NY forums that recently had a full tank crash and is just getting his tank back up and running. So I will donate 2 of them to his tank. I'm gonna call the LFS next week to see what he'll trade for some other Colors ;)

Super glue????????????

Did I read right and someone is using super glue? I have toadstool leather that has a buddy on it I want to frag off and pass on.

Attachments

• DSC01845.jpg
    DSC01845.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70
Did I read right and someone is using super glue? I have toadstool leather that has a buddy on it I want to frag off and pass on.

Your asking if Superglue is Reef Safe??

If so.. Yes... It is the Fragging glue of choice. Get the GEL version though as it's ALOT easier to work with

Marvellous I will get some from LFS tomorrow and try to seperate the toadstool off..................

Glue does not work well with leathers the best thing i have heard of is to frag the leather and attach it to a rock with a rubber band until it attaches itself or place it in a container in your tank with rubble rock and let it attach it self but then again i never have fraged my toadstool but others have said that let someone else chime in baldyguy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom