I never seem to get my live rock and tank looking as pristine as the aquarium store.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dubosegriffin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

This is my first official thread in this forum. The iPad app is fantastic. I need a little advice. I never seem to get my live rock and tank looking as pristine as the aquarium store. The first issue is the drab lookin small amounts of hair algae that seems to be all over the rock. No matter how hard I try that seems to always be there. Can you recommend a good clean up crew for this? Can you recommend not only the animal but how many for my 29 G biocube? The next issue is the fine particulate matter that seems to collect on the rock, coral and bottom of tank. When I take a turkey baster and blow air on my rock, I always get a small white cloud of "dust." What is the best way to reduce this? Do skimmers help with this at all? The last issue is red and green bubble algae. I am working on manual removal but is an emerald crab good for helping with new growth? Are there any other inverts that would help with the bubble algae? Do old bulbs contribute to this growth?

Thanks so much!

dubosegriffin said:
Greetings,

This is my first official thread in this forum. The iPad app is fantastic. I need a little advice. I never seem to get my live rock and tank looking as pristine as the aquarium store. The first issue is the drab lookin small amounts of hair algae that seems to be all over the rock. No matter how hard I try that seems to always be there. Can you recommend a good clean up crew for this? Can you recommend not only the animal but how many for my 29 G biocube? The next issue is the fine particulate matter that seems to collect on the rock, coral and bottom of tank. When I take a turkey baster and blow air on my rock, I always get a small white cloud of "dust." What is the best way to reduce this? Do skimmers help with this at all? The last issue is red and green bubble algae. I am working on manual removal but is an emerald crab good for helping with new growth? Are there any other inverts that would help with the bubble algae? Do old bulbs contribute to this growth?

Thanks so much!

Here is my tank info. It seems that the app thread does not include the signature.

-DuBose - Mount Pleasant, SC
29G Biocube; 1 snail; Mushrooms; Zooanthids; Palythoa; Kenyan Trees; Green Star Polyps; Acropora; Montepora; hammer; Anthelia; coral banded shrimp

okay well several snails like turbos, ceriths etc. probably like 10-15 total, and if you want some blue leg hermits about the same amount (just make sure you have some larger shells for the hermits or they'll kill snails or other hermits for the bigger ones)

if you're continually getting HA there might be something else besides the lack of a CUC in there, how often do you feed and what is your lighting schedule (how long are the lights on etc.)?

sounds like sand particles and they should be fine, won't harm anything. a skimmer won't help with that and once isnt necessary for a tank that size, as long as you keep up with maintenance.

sometimes emeralds will eat bubble algae, but not always, with the algae growth i'm thinking theres something else besides no CUC causing it

I also have a 29 gal. I use a protein skimmer although it may not be necessary it helps with water clarity. My tank is in my sunroom so I was getting a lot of algae growth. I recently purchased a uv sterilizer and it has really helped. I also placed a black background on the back of the tank and never leave my lighting on more than 8 hours at a time. Good luck!

Do you RODI water for top off and salt mix? Emaeralds are hit or miss, but the are so cute. I have a couple. I think one just molted,I haven't seen him in a while. Keep up with the manual plucking. That helps pull the excess nutrients out. I have one spot on my glass that I let it grow, then trim it. Like a mini algae scrubber.

Do you have powerheads in the 29? Something is kicking up the sand. A little bit is normal, but when it noticeabley covers corals it is bad. Try rearranging the powerheads and outputs.

Follow the algae control in the link the Mike posted. Algae is a result of excess nutrients. Cut back feeding to once every other day and feed only half of what you have been. Cut back the lighting for a week to too.

Check for phosphates and remove if found.

Are you using RODI water? If not, start using it for all Top Off and PWC.

I think it is a combination of old bulbs that need to be changed and excess nutrients. I use ro water for everything. I have just undertaken a massive tank overhaul and cleaned up a lot. I added 5 hermits and one emerald. I will keep at it. Also, for some reason I could not find the 10 steps thread. Their mobile site does not work and it did not come up under a search when on my pc.

Thanks!

ro-DI

Do you RODI water for top off and salt mix? Emaeralds are hit or miss, but the are so cute. I have a couple. I think one just molted,I haven't seen him in a while. Keep up with the manual plucking. That helps pull the excess nutrients out. I have one spot on my glass that I let it grow, then trim it. Like a mini algae scrubber.

Do you have powerheads in the 29? Something is kicking up the sand. A little bit is normal, but when it noticeabley covers corals it is bad. Try rearranging the powerheads and outputs.

1. I used to have problems with algae until I added a DI filter to my RO filter.

2. If you didn't clean your sand extremely well then you may need to Run a mechanical filter to remove the fine dust.

Back
Top Bottom