I read somewhere...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
...that it's not a good idea to mix anenomes and corals. Is this true? I am not sure where I read it, or even if I understood it correctly.

I am such a noob at this, the more I read and learn, the more questions I seem to have. Any and all imput greatly appreciated. TIA

I believe the issue is that certain species of either will sting, or kill off, things if they are too close to each other.
Just bits and pieces that I've read.. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will pop in and help out.

You can keep them in the same tank, just not close to your corals since they can sting and damage other corals. wetwebmedia is an invaluable resource for more info on corals.
Edit:
Anemones can be territorial, can move, and can do wage outright chemical/physical war with undesirable tank mates. Some corals can expand to twice their size when extended so space is kind of relative to the size of each coral. That said keeping anemones with corals is risky because sooner or later the anemone will move and cause havoc with the other corals. I’ve seen it done with friends tanks with success but it’s best left up to the experts. Really it’s more of a mater of coral selection that can “handle the sting” so to speak, Hydnophora, Zoanthids, Montipora, and H. crispa are some examples.

For the most part, anemones will cause no real threat to corals in an approprate-sized reef tank. Anemones can sting corals and start a chain-reaction of toxic warfare when they move around a reef tank. They will generally move when first introduced to try to find a spot they are happy or when conditions in the tank begin to decline. I have a rose BTA and a LTA in my 72gal reef that is packed with corals and do not see any problems. We adequate space is provided between the animals (it will vary from species to speices) you shoulb be just fine.

Ok.. thanks for the help. Let me revise my question to be a bit more specific. Is there any more success, (or less mishaps) with anenomes and SPS or LPS over soft corals?

I apologize if my question isnt clear, or redundant, or just plain silly... I can't tell you how new this is to me, I BARELY know what questions to ask =)

I have an anenomie in my tank and have all types of corals and have had no problems. As the advisor said you should be OK.

My question is how many corals do you have in your tank? how old is the tank? Anemones are delicate critters and need a mature tank.
They will sting any coral sps, lps or soft. I have LPS and soft and have good lick with my anemone staying in its spot and not moving much. My BTA has split 2 times now so i have 3 and they all hang out in the same area right now. One has moved a little and is stinging some zoos and there is not much I can do about it.
If an anemone decides it does not like where it is you better be ready to move any corals is makes a home next too.
So if your tank has a lot of corals, an anemone may not be something for your tank.

What anemone are you thinking about? what lights are you running.

Its a new-ish tank, and my cycle is complete. I currently have 2 65w 50/50 lights, and will probably add another PC of some sort when I put together my fuge. I have 2 turbo snails, green mushrooms, and a hitchiker urchin.

These are just questions to better understand how and what these animals need to thrive. I am interested in the symbiotic relationship of A. Ocellaris and hosting anemones.

These are just questions to better understand how and what these animals need to thrive. I am interested in the symbiotic relationship of A. Ocellaris and hosting anemones.
They require an experienced aquarist, a mature tank and a lot more light then you currently have. For a 90gal tank I would not look at anything less then MH lighting if you intend to keep an anemone. The water depth you need to penetrate can really only be done by MH lighting.

I agree with you about more experience and a mature tank. Im not planning on any thing yet, or the near future. I am just asking questions as I come across them. I will get upgraded lighting, but not untill my husband forgets how much money I have spent already. I will need to get enough jingle together for the lights, and have some in reserve for a chiller just in case my future lighting set up heats my tank too much.

I appreciate the imput.

Back
Top Bottom