i think i have too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robzombay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i started up a 120g tank with around 150 lb fiji & tonga branch.
a 300 g wet dry ,a g3 asm skimmer, 2x 150 watt 14k hqi. etc.

i have the usual corals ,
hammers frogspawns,torchs,rhodactise's,zoos,cinnamon polyps,brain,lots of diff. colored mushrooms,toadstool,colts,fingers,yumas etc. .plus i have a infinity overflow that covers the whole back of tank w/ a central overflow ,in the overflow area that gets light ,i have alot of chaetomorpha in it.

the big question is the fish, i have good acces to fish so i went with a variety of sorts ,it seems they have alot of room.
the tank looks awesome and it is really busy.
the fish in qustion are as follows:
5 tangs-purple,yellow,scopas,yellow belly hippo,kole tang all mediums.
7-green chromis smalls
7-wrasses-blue head,harlequin tusk australia,formossa,yellow coris,lubbocks,lunare,mystery.
3- banggai cards
1- fiji puffer sm.
2 diamond goby xsm
1- bullet goby
1- chalk bass
1-coral beauty
1-flame angel
1-mozambique blenny
1-longnose butterfly sm
1 med maxima clam
2- flame scallops
10- emerald crabs
1-fire shrimp.
snails and so forth

i know a couple fish are not that reef friendly ,but i like them.
i just wanted a few opinions on it.
im also considerig a hob refugium ,any ideas on size or brands .
any help is greatly appeciated.

rob

For one, definately have too many fish. I think the norm here is 1 inch per 10 gallons? Second I tried the Fiji Puffer and it nipped at my snails and zoos. Third the butterfly has to go (IMO). For HOB's i would go with the AquaC Remora Pro. Also, i think you have way too many Tangs.

I have to ask... Is this a joke??? 31 fish in a 120... A HOB fuge is not gonna help you need to lose alot of fish.. What are your water parameters with that many fish? Post a pic of this..

I agree, not trying to be rude, but that was my first thought, "is this a joke"?
How long have you had your tank up and running?
I am also interested in what your water parameters are and I would definitely love to see a pic.

Wow thats alot of fish.

I've heard lots if diff so call rules of thumb for fish.
1" per 10 gals
1" per 5 gals
1" per 2 gals
1 physh per 10gal
1 fysh per 5 gals and so on.

After reading and asking quesions I (IMO) think its more about being relistic

Yes you have to many fish.
Yes it prob does look cool but the bio load has to be over whelming and as soon as those fish reach full size there wont be alot of room for anyone.

If I understand things correctly
Larger fish = larger bio load which = less fish.
Smaller fish = smaller bio load which = more fish. (with in reason)

1 inch per 10 gallons is pretty light load...

1 inch per 5 gallons is still rather light but thats what most people agree on. A nice amount of fitches to look at without turning your tank into a dookie-factory.

Ive read in marine aquarium books that with LR you can go as far as 1 inch per 2 gallons, but I just dont see how thats possible without forcing yourself into a position where your constantly doing maintenance just to keep up (aka no fun and not worth it imo)

As the others have asked, post some water parameters, we are all curious. a photo our two would be nice too :)

robzombay said:

Well you did ask for opinions. This statement here really does show a lack of care for the inhabitants of your tank. Your commitment to your tank is really lacking if this is how you think. Not trying to be bad or mean but you need to do what needs to be done then to put your fish and corals in harms way. Yes your tank is way over stocked . I really see a big crash coming down the road. I saw a 2000 gallon tank at my LFS the other day and he did not even have this many fish in it. Hopefully you`ll be making the switch to practicing responsible SW practices in the future.

5 tangs-purple,yellow,scopas,yellow belly hippo,kole tang all mediums.
7-green chromis smalls
7-wrasses-blue head,harlequin tusk australia,formossa,yellow coris,lubbocks,lunare,mystery.
3- banggai cards
1- fiji puffer sm.
2 diamond goby xsm
1- bullet goby
1- chalk bass
1-coral beauty
1-flame angel
1-mozambique blenny
1-longnose butterfly sm
1 med maxima clam
2- flame scallops
10- emerald crabs
1-fire shrimp.
snails and so forth

im also considerig a hob refugium ,any ideas on size or brands .
any help is greatly appeciated.

WOW...that is A LOT of fish. I have a bad feeling you and your tank are heading for major trouble. Very poor choice in amounts and type of livestock.

pics of tank you wanted

all these fish are small. i don't know what everyone is crying about.
tanks been running for 2 months already.
sg .024
nitrates are a little high
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
phosphates 0
ph 8.3
i do weekly water changes and like doing it + i have a 55 reef with excellent parameters i wont even tell you how many fish i have for fear of getting yelled at ha ha.a 14 g nano in my room thats perfect not to mention i also have a 20 g seahorse / pipefish for two years already w/ not one death.
secret is water changes ,i use tropic marin and test frequently

thanks for your input

Attachments

• dcam0008_709.jpg
    dcam0008_709.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 37
  • dcam0011_978.jpg
    dcam0011_978.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 39
  • dcam0014_181.jpg
    dcam0014_181.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 32
  • dcam0017_240.jpg
    dcam0017_240.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 37
  • dcam0023_913.jpg
    dcam0023_913.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 32
  • dcam0024_183.jpg
    dcam0024_183.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 36
When I first started, every LFS and every book I read said 1" per 2 gallons. I trusted that rule, so I started off with the idea that I could do almost 40" of fish in a 75G tank. Of course after online research, I learned that's not the case, but not everybody reads AA or RC before getting into the hobby. Right?

If you're willing to do weekly PWC's, and have a LOT of filtration, and a big sump (at least as big as the display), you can get by with fish beyond the 1" per 10G guideline. IMHO.

But beyond the water quality issue, I'd be surprised if all those fish are very happy, in such crowded corners. SW need room to move - that many in a tank that size could lead to some real stressful fish, especially when they start growing.

2 months in a marine aquarium is just a blip in time. It can take months and months for problems to show up. Your ammonia, trites and trates might be under control, but sooner or later you'll start seeing uncontrollable algae breakouts, cyano/slime, poor health, etc.

It might look cool, but I have to agree with the comments above, that you should a) return some fish to the LFS, or B) get a bigger tank.

/my two cents worth. don't get discouraged.

thanks scoot ,i guess i can TRY and get some of the fish out ,i did not want to sound like i dont care for the fish ,of course i do.
the thing is i saw a friend of mine who has the same tank anf he has 40 plus fish in it and it's been running for three years.i agree the tangs are kind of big , so i m thinking about a 220 g ,getting rid of the 55 and having enough room for it, but getting at those fish will be hard ,sorry for the bad pics
thanks

Wow! Every publication I've read, and I've read many say that it is too many fish in that tank. I guess the plan is the give them away or sell them once they grow up.

all these fish are small. i don't know what everyone is crying about.
I don't know either...but it could be your irresponsible attitude toward fish keeping...just a thought.
When you ask for opinions you need to be ready for the responses. Sorry if it sounds like we are "crying"... :roll:

robzombay said:
i agree the tangs are kind of big , so i m thinking about a 220 g
Now that would be sweet! I think you and your fish would be more comfy if they had more room.

Too many fish...you've already heard that...Here's a thought...what happens when the power goes out for a few hours and the O2 levels drop and ammonia goes up because your filters aren't running. With that many fish you will end up loosing everything and by my best guess that is a LOT of money in fish in that tank. I would find some locals to take a few of them sell a few of them and or take some back to the LFS for credit. A 3-6 hour power outage would destroy your tank and all those beautiful fish....

just something to think about...

im getting the fish out guys

i trapped the yellow watchman,hippo tang,blue head wrasse and a cuban hog which i forgot to mention.
all ineed to do is catch the lunare,3 tangs and the chalk bass.
then iwill have all small fish under3 inches except the tusk fish.
if i am wrong does anybody know a good way to trap them,im using the plastic fish trap w/ the fishing string but it takes all day,took me like 2 hours to catch those fish.
what about a sabiki rig?
thanks

"Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies". Terrible reference - but before I started, I thought it was a good read. Now I look back and laugh. Both LFS's I talked to told me 2" per gallon.

Of course I know better now - but there are definately references out there that offer the 2" per gallon rule.

I can't even imagine 90" of fish in my 180 ;)

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction removing fish. Earlier you said the 'trates were high. It's the fish count I'm sure. I'm thinking you care, and was VERY excited about your tank. I've been there - just not to the extent you are.

Anyway. sounds like you've weathered the AA storm pretty well so far and are making the right moves.

2 tangs in that tank is the limit IMO. Maybe also remove the puffer, butterfly, and one (or both of the angels. Feed only once daily (maybe even every other day). If you've got coral, butterflys and angels may become a problem. Also agression issues will surface, thereby stressing fish out becuase of the lack of "territory" as they get bigger or more used to their new home.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom