I thinkI need lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwtowmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a six ft. long 150 gal. reef tank.I have 2 four ft. lites.one is a purpleish compact.the other reg. twin tube w/ Ultra trilux bulbs.I offset them,push one a ft. to right the other a ft. to left.I dont think I have the rite lite.I was thinking maybe putting 4 three ft. double bulb.My question is what kind ?and where?price?or is that the right way to do that?

What is the total wattage of your current lighting? You could get by with 3 MH lamps, at 175 or 250 watts each, this would serve a reef tank well or you could go the power compact route. with 24" or 36" sets... 2 36" PC at 192 watts (2x96) would probably give enough intensity to sustain your coral. I got my 2X96 on ebay however others have bought online for about 190.00 per set. Thw coralife aqualight series is great at that cost. Hope this helps.

I looked on ebay they didnt have what I was looking for.my (pc) sticker on it says 110 watts , the regular twin tube sats its 80 watts.

IMO, as much as I like PC's, the best system for your tank would be either MH or some 72" VHO's. I'm about to set up a 180 at an Eyecare center and that's what it will have. 2 Icecap ballasts running 4 72" VHO bulbs...probably 2 actinics and 2 10000k's. That'll give it 640 watts of light. Champion lighting has a similar tank with the same lighting setup and they claim to be growing SPS corals in it. www.championlighting.com
If you want PC's, you can get a retro kit from www.ahsupply.com for about $190 that includes 2 96w bulbs. These work out about right on a 6' tank. You'd probably need at least 4 96w bulbs going to grow any corals.
Logan J

I have a hamilton hood that is 4 x 96 watts pc (384 total watts) I will try to figure up a price. The unit retails for about 550. I could sell it to you for much cheaper if you were interested. Let me know if you are and I will figure up what I want for it.

Back
Top Bottom