i want a blue ring octopus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep Seven said:
From wiki
"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Furthermore, their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in."

Nasty. Don't work on your tank alone. If you get envenomated your body becomes paralyzed, preventing you from breathing or reacting in any way, but you remain fully aware as you slowly suffocate to death. The venom doesn't kill you though, so if you get assisted breathing for several hours there is a good chance at survival.

thanks for the info, I knew that already. and yea il always have help

Id recommend, for any small octo, an acrylic tank as it is much easier to fasten proper tops via drilling and nylon bolts/nuts :)

*Also safer for when they rearrange their home.

That's cool you want a deadly pet, I was thinking of getting a philosal raptor myself... Then realized it might escape its enclosure and come eat me and my family. Not to mention I'm not dumb enough to go into its cage to clean all the poop that would build up. So it would prolly die with in 6 months from over poopilation.

Most octo waste is from leftover food or crab shells and from suction cup shedding. Their actual waste/poop can be siphoned out quite easily as its visible and if fed enough shrimp, bright pink ;)

Aski247 said:
That's cool you want a deadly pet, I was thinking of getting a philosal raptor myself... Then realized it might escape its enclosure and come eat me and my family. Not to mention I'm not dumb enough to go into its cage to clean all the poop that would build up. So it would prolly die with in 6 months from over poopilation.

let me update u, it's the 21century and there's elbow high gloves omg who knew ?!

Squidy07 said:
let me update u, it's the 21century and there's elbow high gloves omg who knew ?!

Please let's not fight on this thread
I don't think even shoulder high gloves would protect you unless they were made of very thick rubber
IMO go for an easier octopus first and then work up to the blue ring

Squidy07 said:

Personally I think you're just being rude because you didn't get the response you wanted, but the truth of the matter is that you really shouldn't go straight to this octo considering the consequences.

Please stop the rudeness everybody. Let's try to give more focused advice to the OP. And OP, you have to expect some fire when you past about getting a potentially deadly animal. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but please do it respectfully or the thread will be closed.

paytertot said:
Personally I think you're just being rude because you didn't get the response you wanted, but the truth of the matter is that you really shouldn't go straight to this octo considering the consequences.

oh I'm not being rude your not the only one advising me not to get this octopus which I respect and don't care about your opinion. the thing is your dum raptor comments are unnecessary an not even funny so find a new thread to bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom