I want crabs ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thought that might get your attention

I've just recently setup a fuge underneath my tank... it's about 15 gal with LR and sand...... I was thinking of loading it up with some of those kewl lookin crabs that I can't put into the main.

My question is ... would this be a good idea?? would it still make for a good fuge.. pods, algae and all......

I'm also open to any other ideas for stocking the fuge....

By the cool looking crabs, you must mean mantis, because they are a big pain, and should only be kept in a seperate environment. You shouldnt risk the chance of the crab making its way up into the tank. The fuge is perfect for pods and macro, but I must say that theres only one SAFE macro algae, and that is chaeto. The reason why is caleupra and other macros can go sexual and make pollutants into your tank which is very bad for the corals and can kill them. Cheato does a great job of taking out phosphates and nitrates, great place for pods, grows alot, no special care just put it in the water (it floats sort of). Its the safest macro, I definately recommend it! :D

Yeah looking into some chaeto.... about the crabs.. I mean like the various ones I see in the shops.... I have sally's and emeralds in my tank... but I'd like more of the carnivorous ones in the fuge.... maybe drop'em a little krill every now and then.....

I have a mean little snail killing crab that I just caught from my display and threw in my sump/fuge.

I think it's a cool idea. You can keep a crab that otherwise would kill/destroy and they can even help eat some junk that makes it's way to the fuge.

All my hermits have been relegated to my sump. The only thing in my tank with claws are 2 coral banded shrimp. Other than taking out my peppermint shrimp they don't seem to bother anything.

I've seen a few red leg hermits in my tank playing too close to the polyps and stuff. are they supposed to not be reef safe? I know sally's and emeralds are ok but maybe i'm wrong with the red legs? I too have caulerpa in my tank but after reading that i'm taking it all out in the morning and throw it in with the algae blenny. What pollutants do they put into the water?

I just caught a big rock crab, he is in a 10 gallon right now. I don't have the heart to kill him (even though he killed my scooter dragonete :evil: ).
Was going to take him to my LFS tomorrow who will probably feed him to a Trigger.
You want him?
Shipping might be tough with the weather, but if you pay the shipping, you can have him. He is a cool looking crab, I can take a pic if you like.

I'm thinking the shipping would be more than I would pay for the crab.... thanks for the offer though....

lol, true. Would like to find him a home though.
If you want different, you won't find these in you neighborhood LFS though. :lol:

I've noticed that I keep finding my hermits on the sand or rock with no shell.... the "hard part" claws,legs etc. is still intact but the fleshy part looks eaten...

I have other shells in the tank... any idea why this would happen????

Molts, I have a Hermit thats is as big as some of my fish and he bothers no one.
The "fleshy part" is where they break out in the molting process.
Hermit IMO are a great part of many thriving systems and if properly cared for, will not bother other inhabitants.

OOOOOOOOOOO... I was wondering that.... I mean I knew they grew and got into new shells.... but being the genius that I am... I thought they were special and they're skin grew with them..... o well.... ok kewl... so I probably haven't lost anywhere near as many as I though..... thanks man......

Berzer said:
I've seen a few red leg hermits in my tank playing too close to the polyps and stuff. are they supposed to not be reef safe? I know sally's and emeralds are ok but maybe i'm wrong with the red legs? I too have caulerpa in my tank but after reading that i'm taking it all out in the morning and throw it in with the algae blenny. What pollutants do they put into the water?

as per the hermits.. it depends on what they look like... do they have hairy legs or smooth... the smooth legged ones are awesome to have... most kind of crabs that have hairly legs can be pests... the red legged hermits with the hairy legs are actaully carnivorous and can get very big... at work we had a big one in with some bigger fish.. he was trying to chase tangs down.. they were pretty much having fun watching him try but you never know

Back
Top Bottom