I want to raise lobsters, like plenty of them and breed them, what all do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UKTone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't have any equipment at all, and won't get the lobsters until aquarium/tank is ready.

Takes more then just an aquarium...Lobsters are cold water animals and you would need to get a chiller and a very big AQ at that. My advice is to get a book are at least do a search on google.

@ thincat yeah I know I need more than just an aquarium, they need "hard" (they were talking about calcium by crunching up eggs and microwaving them and putting them in the water to increase calcium and also kills bacteria) and I learned some more stuff from here How to Raise Red Claw Lobsters | eHow.com (they said to use limestone flour to increase calcium). I mainly just need to know what size would be best to take care of plenty of lobsters since they say a 1 pound lobster usually carries 8000 eggs and 9 pound lobsters can carry more than 100,000 eggs, but they say out of every 50,000 eggs, only 2 are expected to survive to legal size (what does legal size mean? They don't explain much here Lobster FAQ — FactMonster.com) and why don't the others make it to legal size?
I will search for a book, but not really sure what to put in the search, I will go to books.google.com first.

To have them as pets, but if one dies of old age, is it safe/ok to eat them? Or does it depend on how long they have dead?
In any case it'll be a while before I get the nerve to eat any.

So waht exactly are you looking to raise? The first article is about FRESH WATER crayfish. The second is about the American lobsters, whcih are SALT WATER species.

I don't beleive Salt Water lobsters can be bred/raised in captivity.
If you are talking about crayfish I will move this thread to the FW section.

I'm guessing by the egg : size ratio, the OP is discussing SW. A 9 pound mudbug would be scary! lol

Tone- The largest obstacles (literally and figuratively) are water volume and cooling. You'll need to maintain a temp of 40-50 through the use of chillers. They are slow growing, disease prone, animals that require a very large volume of water. Commercial lobster farming is only now being tentatively attempted and is still more expensive than the catch so it is only being pursued by a few companies. I'd suggest starting off with a FW crayfish or shrimp variety to test the waters so to speak.

Welcome to AA btw! :)

UKTone said:
but they say out of every 50,000 eggs, only 2 are expected to survive to legal size (what does legal size mean? They don't explain much here Lobster FAQ — FactMonster.com) and why don't the others make it to legal size?

I just guessing based off what I know of other species, but mostly creatures with such a low survival rate end up as food for a lot of other creatures during their lifespan. Especially when the lobsters are tiny, creatures that might not normally eat lobster will snack on the babies.

And if one lobster lays 50,000 eggs (with the help of a male), and two of those eggs survive to reproduce, then thats a stable population.

Edit: Just wanted to add, salmon have a similar survival rate in the wild (around 2% I think), but in a farm setting thats reversed and around 95% survival to harvest size.

"(what does legal size mean?)" Legal size is a lobster big enough to have had a chance to spawn in the wild.

Legal size is 3¼" carapice (back of eyes to end of body, not including the tail). It means, big enough to eat.

Red claw crayfish, is the way to go for this type of project. They grow quickly, reach a decent size and aren't terribly cannibalistic. They do require warm water, but are raised in very simple setups in Australia, for eating. So, while they aren't real lobsters, they are more practical and much prettier.

Legal size also means that the lobster is big enough to legally catch. It is judged big enough if the length of the carapace is over 3.25 inches. Every lobster collected by commercial lobstermen is measured with a gauge...and if it is too small (or is an eggbearing female) it is thrown back into the water. Getting caught with an illegal lobster is a huge deal, and you can lose your license right quick.

lobster farm

I'm guessing by the egg : size ratio, the OP is discussing SW. A 9 pound mudbug would be scary! lol

Tone- The largest obstacles (literally and figuratively) are water volume and cooling. You'll need to maintain a temp of 40-50 through the use of chillers. They are slow growing, disease prone, animals that require a very large volume of water. Commercial lobster farming is only now being tentatively attempted and is still more expensive than the catch so it is only being pursued by a few companies. I'd suggest starting off with a FW crayfish or shrimp variety to test the waters so to speak.

What about restaraunts like Ruth's Chris and some Red Lobsters that have aquariums in the front of the house, those get eaten. Are they red claw lobsters?

those lobsters dont spend a lot of time in that tank. I work at a grocery store they usually live like two weeks in there tanks.

What about restaraunts like Ruth's Chris and some Red Lobsters that have aquariums in the front of the house, those get eaten. Are they red claw lobsters?

Those aquariums are temporary residences and not met to "farm" the lobsters. They simply keep them healthy enough to be fresh when chosen. They also are relatively high water volume tanks and almost always include chillers. They come up for sale somewhat regularly on CL and some forums.

You might want to check with your local dept of fish and game,....I'm sure it's probably illegal unless you have the right permits/ licenses etc and seeing how they have their own " fishing" seasons ,....I really doubt you could do it anyway

Cherax quadricarinatus is red claw, Cherax destructor is what we call Yabbies.

Red Claw can be kept at tropical temps. Yabbies are fine in a temperate climate and could be kept at 'room temp'.

http://www.growfish.com.au/Grow/Files/fn082.pdf

If you are raising them as pets (and plenty of them) get a 6x2x2 tank and grow plenty of java moss. Have a reasonably thick substrate of pool filter sand and plenty of cobbles, slate and drift wood. Have plenty of filtration too.

Back
Top Bottom