Ice probes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 40g. Right now my temp is 80-82 degrees. I can't afford a chiller right now. My lfs sells ice probes for cheaper. I don't know to much about them. Does anybody have or had it, could u give me some advice about them. Like r they even worth buying? Im trying to get the temp around 76-78. Would that do the job for me?

no. It won't. Did you try a 6" fan? Aim it at the water surface. This will cool it down, but you'll also see a rise in evaporation.

No I didn't try a fan. U think that would be the next best thing to do?

Ice isn't really a fix for a temperature problem, its more of a short term emergency fix. If you have ac, then I wouldn't worry about the temperature so much. Fans will help, and heat dissipation from the lighting will help, as thats usually the main source.

If it starts to get too hot, you can run your lights at night, just reverse the light cycle. Remember, temperatures in the ocean vary considerably by day, and night. I would only start to really worry if you tank starts to hover around 90F while the ac is running.

He's talking about a ice probe they are for nanos they only work for like 2-3 degrees a fan would do much better and cheaper .....my nano runs at 80 and it is florishing ....I honestly font notice a diff from my 80 degree nano to my chilled 76 degree 75

90 uh wow I would not let tanks with coral or tropical marine species get over 83 and that's borderline 90 will harm many species

I have a fowlr right now. Want to get some corals. Bought a couple before n didn't have good luck with them. Talk to my lfs n they said one thing could be the temp being a little to high. So I was trying to bring it down a little.

80-82 is not going to effect most corals befor u add coral did u check cal mag strontium levels what kind of lights u got

Did check cal level it was 470. Didn't check strontium. Lights r t5 HO. One 10k n other is giesemann actinic

At the time I was using IO reef crsytals. I just changed to tropic marin pro reef

I know. That's why I got it. Probably was a bad one. Idk

Back
Top Bottom