Idaho grape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paddlefoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey peeps woke up this morning to some bad news my Idaho grape is turning white I am guessing its bad news, did a water test and this what I came up with
Tank temp is 80*
PH 8.4
Alk normal 1.7
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0.05
Any advise is it salvageable ?
Thanks

My first thought after all of those numbers come in is SG and then the calcium level. Is it being stung by anything?

I`ve just about heard of most common names but the Idaho grape escapes me. You have a pic of this. As far as bleaching what about calcium and what type lighting?

It is a very pretty purple monti when grown under the right lights. I want one!!

Salinity is 1.024
Calcium I have no way to read
Maybe I should invest in a good calcium reactor

Here is a pic of the Idaho grape yes it is a monti

Attachments

• image-2049055846.jpg
    image-2049055846.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 167
My green monti looked worse that that because it was being stung by a frog spawn. I separated them and it recovered nicely. I don't know what could be causing your problem. Hopefully someone can come up with another idea.

ammonia is present. i would say that's enough to kill sps.
how long have you had it?
do you get alk swings at different times, or perhaps temp swings overnight?

I do get a little temp swing overnight about 2* had the frag for three or four weeks,I do a water check every other day, you think it could be temp swing if so I will leave house heater on in that room,ammonia has been present since day one can't seem to get rid of it , I have an RODI on the way

i don't think 2 degrees over night is going to do it. how did you acclimate it to your lighting? did you put it on the bottom and slowly raise it up or just glue it to the top of the rock?
do you have any power heads pointing directly at it?

mr_X said:
i don't think 2 degrees over night is going to do it. how did you acclimate it to your lighting? did you put it on the bottom and slowly raise it up or just glue it to the top of the rock?
do you have any power heads pointing directly at it?

It started at the bottom when i put the new lighting in and I moved it about half way up about a week ago you think they lights were too much for it? No power heads pointing directly at it I would say it's in a medium flow area

too much light doesn't make sense judging from your picture. it's only half the coral. is the white part spreading fast? it looks like RTN to me (rapid tissue necrosis), and there are multiple causes of this.
if it's RTN, then i would frag off the good part right now. make sure you leave some good flesh with the RTN, so that none is remaining on the living frag.
some of the causes include, but are not limited to:
alk swings
temp swings
excessive nutrients
flow issues
chemical issues (stings/poisoned by neighboring corals)
etc.

Yep it is definitely RTN then unfortunately I've lost the whole thing will this affect other corals and should I take it out of the tank?

the dead skeleton won't effect anything. i would try to figure out the cause though. that might effect other corals in the long run.
RTN isn't contagious though, if that's what you are asking.

Back
Top Bottom