ideas for 500 gallon pre mixed saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like a 500 gallon or so tank to make and store SW for the main tank . Anyone have any ideas on construction or something I could use?
Thanks!

The only thing that comes to mind for me is large rubbermaid's (100 gal each), or barrels of some sort.
Got any recent pics Brenden?

Mike

why do you need 500 gals of water???
They sell the large heavy duty plastic storage tanks at farm supply stores, they come in many sizes.

contact mike at LR.com

they have several large cylinder's that store fresh RO/DI water and salty stuff...

i am sure they can point you in the direction you need to go.

Sorry, this begs the question.....why?
I know you have a large system, but you still need to transport it to your tank for water changes. IMO, unless you want to constantly airate a very large container, 30-40 gallon garbage cans will do.

I would think that a 150g stock tank (purchased at a feed store) would suffice. I can't imagine that you'll need to replace ALL of the water in your main very often.... why the need for 500 at a time? Let us know what you decide. We definitely want to see recent pics (don't you have a new sump in line too?) I'm dying to see your fish room!

The reason I am wanting a big tank is I currently have 4 QT tanks going with a total water capacity of 200 gal. I am going though roughly 80 gallons a day of sw. I am using dechlorinated tap for the QT tanks because cyano etc is not a issue, however it is a pain to mix the water constantly. I use RO/DI water for my main and I use two large rubbermaid containers for roughly 80 gallon water changes. The problem with that is the 100GPD ro unit only produces 50 gallons a day unless you bring the water pressure up to 100 PSI. So I have 2 large trash cans in my foyer for 3 days when I do a water change. I was thinking of purchasing a large tank to use now for SW in the QT tanks. After all my QT is done I will dry it out and keep it full of RO water for changes in my main. Tractor supply has a 325 gallon tank that is roughly 40" round and 60" long for $370 they also have a 60" round 500gal tank with a dome top for $300 I think this is probably the way to go ( they both have 15 " access holes"). I am just trying to determine if I want to do it and were to put it. If I put it in my garage I will have temp issues with it.
Phyl. I do have the additional sump installed. It is currently home to a 2-3" mantis. It makes the water changes easy. I just turn off my return pump and let the 2 sump tanks fill up then I have a drain hose plumbed under the house that my UV return line fits into. I just plug up the pump until it starts to pull in air. I have the sump connector lines about 8" from the bottom so the second sump never runs out of water. I currently have a sand bed in it. It will also hold roughly 50 lbs of base rock when my QT tanks are torn down. What type algae do you recommend for the sump/refugium?

Well as far as my job goes..I was well off and into big houses and high dollar sport cars. Then 3 years ago I retired at age 30 (as in retire or we will fire you because we are eliminating your job) I spent everyday of the next 2 years enjoying my wife and 6 month old son. The last 8 months of that 2 years I was looking for a job with no luck (depressing) :cry: . It was a very humbling 8 months. During that time I learned to appreciate all my wife does (stay at home mom). I got my priorities in line. God/ family and friends, money is somewhere towards the end. After I got my head straight God opened doors for me. I had 3 job offers in 2 weeks from places I had never applied. I now work for a fortune 10 company and love to spend time with my family. My little boy wanted a nemo and I guess deep down I did too. SW has turned into something the whole family enjoys. As far as income goes I have none. It all belongs to God. He just lets me use it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom