If you have VHO or PC and want to see your Corals go crazy:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read this on here a while back and finally got talked into it. My corals are open more than I have ever seen them. I went to the Home Depot and got some of that eggcrate stuff for lighting after one of the guys in my fish club explained how much the salt creep on my glass tops was just totally messing up my light spectrum. Well honestly I had my doubts cause I mostly through info I pick up here and in Eric Bornman's book "Corals" have been having (knock on wood) pretty good luck with the corals other than my bubble but I even have him on the rebound now...N E Way It was sunday and the water change was done and I wanted to play around with my tank some more (can you tell it might be time to have kids its Sunday and I have NOTHING to do :) )so I bought the eggcrate. I used just a pair of sewing scissors to cut it to shape and PRESTO CHANGO!!!! It was great... It was amazing and about a week later it looks even better. It does evaporate a bit quicker but that is good for me as well as I supplement (as I am sure most do) in my top off water. Any way just wanted to share this so if anyone else dosen't have the MH's but wants just a little more POP out of thier corals I would recomend this very much. If I can find any other tricks out there to help us "lowlighters" I will be sure to share those too.

Doan

I think he is just taking off the glass covering and replacing with eggcrate. I had a similar experience when I ditched my glass covering. Now I do not have anything between my lights and water and corals have really opened up.

Ya. Basicly remove the glass top and put eggcrate there instead. Of course the eggcrate would really only be to protect larger fish from jumping to their doom.

This is the very reason I suggest to all new hobbists that have a glass cover that they run their tanks with out the cover.

This is exactly what I do. I have been using an egg crate for a top for months! Works great!!

Yeah it's a simple little thing really just ditch the glass cover and go with the eggcrate. I just wanted to share the massive success I have been having this week with that. I have gotten so much helpful info from this site that it is probably singlehandedly responsible for me not having a tank full of dead stuff that when I do find a little trick I like to give back where I can.

Doan

Make sure the eggcrate is pointed in the right direction so it doesn't block more light. Thinner side down ;)

It's supposed to be, facin one side down diffuses the light and the other side focuses the light. Flip it over and see if you notice a difference.

I just built a canopy with 1x6's and then put some blocks inside to support the PC fixture. Mine sits about 3" off the top of the water. I want to build another with 1x8's so I can completely cover the light fixture. It sits level with the top of 1x6 so I can turn the lights on/off. With the addition of a timer, I no longer mess with that.

Congrats on the success. :)

Some eggcrate isn't thinner on once side. If yours is like this then go get the good stuff with concave sides. For VHO, this stuff can actually INCREASE the amount of light entering the water.

Bang Guy said:
For VHO, this stuff can actually INCREASE the amount of light entering the water.

Not doubting you but how does it incease the light entering the water? Does it channel the light downwards better?

Exactly. Light striking the water at a shallow angle just reflects. The eggcrate can reflect the angled light down where it penetrates the water surface instead of reflecting. This isn't true for all lighting methods but it's true for NO, HO and VHO. It is not true for MH where a high quality reflector serves the purpose better than what eggcrate can do.

I was thinking of building a miniature canopy for my little 10 gallon tank to make it look nicer and this sounds like something perfect to incorporate into my design! I've got an 18 watt actinic NO and a 32 watt 50/50 PC, both with fairly crappy reflectors.

Until recently, I was just using a glasstop to set my light fixtures on. Now I've got little stands holding my lights about 3" off the water. They're really crappy and need to be replaced ASAP. Until I have the time/money to build my little canopy, I may try using this egg crate stuff to hold my lights up. :)

If I do this, my fixtures will be about 1" off the water....Will this cause problems with salt/saltwater getting on the lights?

high quality reflector serves the purpose better than what eggcrate can do
speaking of which where can i get one. i need something about 48"w x 9"d x 4"-5"h

Does this apply only for tank covers or also the actual light cover? My pc are on legs and a few inches above the water. I regualry clean the salt creep off the cover but am def interested in getting more light!!

beachbumin said:
Does this apply only for tank covers or also the actual light cover? My pc are on legs and a few inches above the water. I regualry clean the salt creep off the cover but am def interested in getting more light!!

Yes I would like to know also. I have to either line the inside of my new hood or make a reflector for the top. I have been looking around for light gauge reflector material to bend into a reflector for all the lights.

Hood is 72 inches long by 20 inches wide by 18 inches tall (where the lights will be mounted). Then there will be a 6 by 6 inch "attic" for ventilation with (2) 5 inch fans forcing air into the hood and forcing the warm air out the top.

It will have 2 MH 175 watt with 14,000 or 20,000K lamps. One at each end. In the middle will be (4) 48 inch flourescent lamps. 2 will be actinic and 2 will be daylight or 50/50. All will be controlled individually via a PLC along with the tempature controller for the hood. When the temp gets to a certain point, the fans will kick on to cool it.

Also have a digital temp controller for the water. That will be installed some time after I finish the top.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom