If you want fat happy fish, make your own food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great ideas. Currently I am feeding the usuall mysis, cyclops, brine, scallop and shrimp. I use , as some if you have seen, a steak injector to feed. Works great allows me to feed specific animals if need be without alot of wasted food. Love the mash idea that will be my next adventure. :)

It works quite well. I stick that thing in and it's like a party is going on... I was feeding the pistol with it and he was shooting at it. I could feel it threw the injector 'twas quite neat. :)

I use the Lee's ring feeder, one I've been having for 14 years and another I ordered on Amazon last week for my second tank. Cool thing is it has a frozen food cone that slips into the ring. I just thaw some food, pour out the liquid and pop the food into the cone and drop in into the ring and watch the fish peck it out of the cone. Any food that floats I just remove the cone and let the fish get that food off the surface inside the ring. Been using them nonstop forever. It saves a lot of food from the filter.

You can get the feeding ring at petsmart. It's just got a suction cup attached to a plastic ring with styrofoam underneath. Works great.

Ok, wanted to report back.

I made my own food today:

clam
oyster
shrimp
nori sheet
shrimp
cod
water
freeze into sheets in zip lock bags

Ran it through a food processor and made a nice paste. Didn't smell bad at all. Smelled like the ocean. I fed some to my fish and they went "orgasmic". I think they truly love me now. Could have sworn my Chevron Tang winked at me earlier today.

Anywho, the one thing I want to mention to anyone willing to try is to make a good amount of it. The small portion that I made (2 ziplock flats) will probably last me about 2 months and cost me a total of $10. To really see some savings, I should have made 3 times that amount.

I look forward to seeing how the fish grow and color up over the course of the next year. The prepared and frozen foods that I have been buying I think are lacking. Fingers crossed.

Mr. Crabs said:
Ok, wanted to report back.

I made my own food today:

clam
oyster
shrimp
nori sheet
shrimp
cod
water
freeze into sheets in zip lock bags

Ran it through a food processor and made a nice paste. Didn't smell bad at all. Smelled like the ocean. I fed some to my fish and they went "orgasmic". I think they truly love me now. Could have sworn my Chevron Tang winked at me earlier today.

Anywho, the one thing I want to mention to anyone willing to try is to make a good amount of it. The small portion that I made (2 ziplock flats) will probably last me about 2 months and cost me a total of $10. To really see some savings, I should have made 3 times that amount.

I look forward to seeing how the fish grow and color up over the course of the next year. The prepared and frozen foods that I have been buying I think are lacking. Fingers crossed.

That sounds awesome. I have still yet to try it but i know i will.

I am just worried about making it into a paste. For my marine betta, if she doesnt see it she cant really eat it. And im worried she wouldnt eat if the pieces were too small

Gboy66 said:
That sounds awesome. I have still yet to try it but i know i will.

I am just worried about making it into a paste. For my marine betta, if she doesnt see it she cant really eat it. And im worried she wouldnt eat if the pieces were too small

Instead of blending it on a puree setting, could do more of a coarse chopped setting, then the pieces should be bigger. ;)

Back
Top Bottom