I'm afraid of live rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worry about the handling. If I was going to do this, I would plan to do it as fast as possible. Two tanks would be good. One to keep the rock in while you build into the other.

Thank goodness for Rubbermaid tubs!!

I know that there is some sort of underwater epoxy out there, but that doesn't sound like something I would want to mess with, because I'm afraid it would have to be visible on the rock.

Hey, who knows? Even the drilling may turn out to be impossibly difficult for me, and I'm hopeful that it will be unnessary - provided that rocks are irregular enough in shape to be stacked with spaces in between. I won't know until they get here. I'm going to call LR.com when the time comes and talk to them in person, if possible, to see if I can request smaller, irregular pieces as opposed to one big piece. From what I've read on this board, they are very accomodating and helpful.

If you are still worried about he hitchhikers on live rock you can buy less live rock and more base(dead)rock. Eventually the live rock will seed the base rock which will become live rock. Buying less live rock will reduce your chances to get unwanted hitchhikers but you can also miss out on other neat critters and stuff.

Dont think your going to get off that easy by buying base rock, however by the sound of it you could but in actually a lot of my hitchikers came from this rock. lr.com's base rock is better than mosts so called premium rock. Not trying to scare you off here but just give you something to expect. I would order all keys rock for no more than you need.

justmy2cents said:
I have about 2" of sand. Does this change my potential for adding live rock in any way?

No. It will be fine.

Yes, you can still add LR. I would be careful, though, to make sure the rock rests on the glass bottom and not just nestled in the sand. That way, any sand-stirring creatures can't topple over your rock. You can arrange the sand back around the bottom of the rock, but make sure the rock has a good steady base on the tank bottom. With only 2 inches of sand, this should be easy to do.

Thumper said:
lr.com's base rock is better than mosts so called premium rock.

The base rock I'm speaking of is pretty much rock that has been dried out and void of all marine life. Nothing living on/in it except maybe some spiders or ants :lol:

suthernsalt said:
Have u guys had good luck with LR.com? or do you purchase from somewhere else?

Here's a pic of my LR on the day I ordered it. The colors are washed out by the lighting, and this was 5 days ago. It's AWESOME right now. Pink, purple, orange, red white, etc.

img_356919_0_463a2cfbae3210280023c8c32afc5e11.jpg

Not bad, eh?

I will echo what others here have said. LR is the single best thing you can do for your tank. It's benifits out-weight it's troubles. Go for it. If you end up with some "undesireables" you can deal with that as they come. Do not let it scare you...it is as natural as it comes.

I love the look of LR in my tank. I've created bridges, and caves with the twenty pounds I have. And I've never gotten anything bad in my LR. Of course I haven't gotten too many creatures either, but that's alright. What I do have is macroalgae growth, feather dusters, and of course coralline algae.

You could add an extra light or add trace elements, but it's not necessary. I've noticed since I've been putting in trace elements that my good algae is really growing.

Back
Top Bottom