I'm afraid of live rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedminsterrph

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A good description of my setup is here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=43104
I'd love more thoughts and ideas on that thread from anyone who takes the time to read through it!

I've been thinking about some of the reading I've done and the suggestions I've gotten in that thread, and it seems like adding lr would be a good addition, but I must admit that I find the idea a bit overwhelming.

How afraid of introducing harmful critters (mantis shrimp, worms) should I be? Seems like I'm reading a lot of posts from people having this type of problem. Also, am I going to need to invest in better lighting and additional additives / tests to keep growth on the rock alive? Will this be worth the hassle?

You guys are awesome.

Will this be worth the hassle?

yes yes yes

The mantis shrimp thing isnt as common as you might think and the "worms" more than likely are exactly what you want in your tank, bristle worms. you dont need additonal lighting for LR what you already have will be just fine.

do you have a dsb now or is it rock of some kind?

From what I've been reading I'd be afraid NOT to use it, especially as it relates to nitrates and biodiversity.

When I get my LR, I'll be nervous, but I know my attack plan in order to minimize the risk of pests. I may not be 100% successful, but I've not read a SINGLE person who has LR complain that it was a mistake - pests and all.

I'll have tweezers, a spray bottle of salt water, an old toothbrush, a squirt of club soda to force mantis out of their holes, Joe's Juice, a couple of pointy wooden skewers, rubber dishwashing gloves, a masonry drill, hammer and chisel, and 2 buckets of SW and a powerhead ready to roll.

Bring 'em on!

FWIW, I've never had a problem with my LR. I just put it in the tank and forget it. Never had problems with mantis and such, but there are tips to get rid of them before you add the rock (see recent posts on them) to the tank. It's cool to watch the coraline grow and other need stuff that comes from them. It gives the tank a more natural look (in my opinion).

Go for it, I would HIGHLY recommend getting it from www.liverocks.com. Tell them your concerns and they'll help you out.

Jim

IndyReef said:
do you have a dsb now or is it rock of some kind?

I have about 2" of sand. Does this change my potential for adding live rock in any way?

One thing I'm unclear on -- and I'm probably just misunderstanding: what kind of "life" (aside from bacterial) can I expect to find on my LR? I was reading about the different types of LR on liverocks.com, and some seem to come with corals -- won't this die off of I don't have the right lights, suppliments, etc? Or do I just buy it with the intention of it dying? I'm not sure I worded that well but I hope you follow me.

Also, what exactly is "coraline?" I assume that the name refers to coral... an algae I think? But must be it doesn't require coral? Um... is it showing that I'm a rookie yet?

Some stuff will die off, Live rock is live because of the bacteria, however liverocks.com stuff has so much more, coraline algae (very pretty growth on rocks, sometimes different colors), feather dusters, tube worms, aptaisa (these you really don't want but they are easy to get rid of), even some crabs, and starfish, and shrimp. Now I'm not saying you WILL get all of this, but each time I ordered I have gotten a bunch of good stuff. :mrgreen:

IMO getting new LR is one of the most exciting things in this hobby. I feel like a kid unwrapping Christmas presents. :)
Can't wait for the next batch!! 8)

"I'll have tweezers, a spray bottle of salt water, an old toothbrush, a squirt of club soda to force mantis out of their holes, Joe's Juice, a couple of pointy wooden skewers, rubber dishwashing gloves, a masonry drill, hammer and chisel, and 2 buckets of SW and a powerhead ready to roll. "

Quote:

a masonry drill

Ouch.

LOL :D

The drill is in case I want to try to build an archway or some other elaborate structure. Drilling small holes and using small plastic pegs to connect the rocks should do the trick, if I decide to do it.

(I guess you had a picture of me chasing a breakaway shrimp with the drill, al la Texas Chainsaw Massacre!)

Just my opinion, but my live rock has been the best investment in my tank. I started with a few really beautiful peices from my lfs. Then I supplimented with rock from liverock.com. I just spent one full hour watching, and after two months, I'm still finding new things. This mornings surprise was a baby sea urchin, about the size of a pencil eraser. I was going to buy one on my next visit to the lfs. The good outweighs the bad.

Get the LR! I think it is as, if not more, exciting than the fish at times. When I set up my 1st 55g the highlight of my week was going on Friday (LR shipping day & Pay day) and hand picking a new piece for the tank. I always came home with a free shroom or polyp or Zoo, starfish, and yes, even the dreaded mantis on a trip or two... but not once would I have not bought it. I had a healthy happy ever changing tank... DH once said it realllly is like a live growing reef in there as we always had new life spring forth from no where all the time.

I am in Florida and the LR here used to be awesome in most all the LFS , now it looks like dead base rock, no color, no fancy life... this new tank we are buying from LR.com as we have heard great things and are going to drive down maybe next week.

I say DO IT!!!

Warmly,
Kimberly

Get the LR. No question. The more difficult question is to determine what you expect from the LR. Some people (me included) purchase the LR specifically to get as many diverse hitchhikers as possible. I got a mantis, for example, but he's a very interesting critter that I now keep in a separate tank. I'm glad he 'hiked along.

IMO, attempt to save ALL the life on that rock when you get it. You can't subject your LR to treatments (drills, dips etc! 8O ) and expect to get only troublesome life out while leaving good life unharmed. You're going to hurt a lot of stuff you might like to keep.

So you put it in. See what you get. Then make the decisions to selectively remove things later based on your own observations as to what is "bad" or not.

attempt to save ALL the life on that rock when you get it

Even aiptasia and sponges that have been exposed to the air?

(Repeat: the drill is strictly to connect pieces of rock, not to kill the unwanted pests!! :) The local LFS has created AMAZING rockscapes using little plastic pegs inserted into small holes drilled in the rock. This may actually SAVE the life that would be lost in a rock collapse, and the open spaces and caverns give added places for refuge and promote good water flow. I don't know if I'll try it or not, but it's a legitmate option.)

My Lr experience has been like a xmas treat. I would be more scared of not using it. ya I got a few mantis shrimp but it's actually prety cool. I'll catch the unwanted critters in time but I can say this. I had been having a nitrate problem and from the monent of dropping in the rock they went to 0. Trust me when I say you'll have every bit as much fun as I have when you get your lr GO FOR IT.

I ordered my live rock from dr foster and smith live aquaria and I didnt get any pests. My rock didnt come with any critters though either. If I were to do it again with more money I would have gotten rock from TBS or from live rocks. I would have preferred rock shipped in water instead of newspaper. Also, I would have scrubbed mine off before putting in the tank. I am still sucking gunk out from all the crevices 8 months later. :(

This may actually SAVE the life that would be lost in a rock collapse, and the open spaces and caverns give added places for refuge and promote good water flow.

Yes, valid point. I actually had hoped to do something similar with my rock. I couldn't find any kind of appropriate peg material to use...then my shipment arrived as mainly 1 giant piece of rock!

I worry about the handling. If I was going to do this, I would plan to do it as fast as possible. Two tanks would be good. One to keep the rock in while you build into the other.

Back
Top Bottom