I'm at my wits end.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, my compact flourescent blew up today. Now, I'd been planning on doing metal halides in the future, but it looks like it's going to be sooner than later. The only problem is I don't know what I need. Right now I just have LR and a couple of soft corals and mushrooms. I plan on expanding in the future. So, what would you suggest? It's a 50 gallon, 36x18. Pendant or retrofit? I don't have a canopy for it, so would I not want to do retrofit? Will the Pendant bulbs provide all the lighting I need?

Thanks, any and all help is appreciated.

-Patrick

I have the 48 in unit and am very happy with it.
I can keep just about anything with it.

If you expect to expand to everything possible, the MH is your best bet. I have them, and it's nice to know I can add anything I like.

I have the orbit also, love it, but it won't support sps corals. Not bright enough. But I have lps and soft corals, and a long-tentacled anemone and they are all very healthy.

but it won't support sps corals. Not bright enough. But I have lps and soft corals, and a long-tentacled anemone

And there are plenty of lps and softies to choose from withouth the heat headache I'd imagine.

austinsdad said:
but it won't support sps corals. Not bright enough. But I have lps and soft corals, and a long-tentacled anemone

And there are plenty of lps and softies to choose from withouth the heat headache I'd imagine.
There are also plenty of SPS (non acropora) you could keep under 4x96w PC with the depth of a 50 gallon tank. I just wouldn't suggest mixing them with a softy dominated tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom