I'm losing my mind...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmb4516

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help help! I've misplaced my chart and can't seem to remember what the acceptable nitrate levels are 8O.

Also, with all the bad news that gets posted here, I thought I'd post some good news. My clown and domino damsel survived their battle with velvet and are now back in my (no longer fishless) tank after their 4 week quarentine. Thanks for everyone that helped out.

bmb4516 said:
What is the "TOXIC" nitrate level?

*sigh*
Depends on the type of tank and animals in it. If we are speaking strictly about the two fish you have mentioned, they could weather some high nitrates in the 60-80 ppm range. Not something I would suggest as an acceptable operating level but it is not altogether toxic. With inverts and such, keep it under 15-10 ppm unless caring for more sensitive corals then as close to zero as possible.. :wink:

Keep in mind though that with excessive NO3 usually follows the other two so check the NH3 and NO2 and be sure to do the appropriate water changes. Without fish for so long the tank will have lost a fair amount of it's bacterial population unless you've been feeding the tank at least weekly. It should recover fairly quickly depending on how much bio material is available for the bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom