i'm so sick of micro bubbles!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
i dont get it, how do you guys who have sumps prevent the micro bubbles? i have tried everything. i have all the baffles in the world. someone suggested something with tupperware which i tried and it didn't work. i put a pillowcase around the input to the sump which keeps all but the tiniest little bubbles out. i dont know what to do. someone has to have a sump and knows what i'm dealing with. i have about 1100 gph flowing into my sump so it gets a bit tricky. i dont know what to do, i want to cry. anybody?

I put a piece of filter pad' the fine micron pad in between two pieces of egg crate . I placed this before my return pump. This helped me alot. ( This pad goes the full with of the sump )

Good Luck Dewey

alright guys here is a ghetto drawing i just did to help you better understand what i'm dealing with here. thanks

I took a penguin filter, the ones w/ the blue filter pad on one side and a black plastic on the other. There is also a little bit of carbon sandwiched in between and put it right on the intake of my Mag-24. It works good, I also have no baffles.

HTH

i think that would greatly reduce my water flow though and with a 90 gallon tank running 1100 gph i dont really want to go any lower.

Invariably I have found that microbubbles are caused by you pulling air into the system from some source, usually because the water level in the sump is too low. Check a post dated Novermber 20 in the "General Discussion" Saltwater Forum titled "little giant pump"...There is a lengthy discussion of a very similar problem and the solution at the end.

HTH. 8)

well the easy wat to tell... if you sit and watch your sump, do you see bubbles getting sucked into the pump? if you do, then you need to work on the baffles or a prefilter. If you don't see bubbles getting sucked into the pump, then you likely have a pine hole air leak somewhere in your return plumbing that needs to be sealed.

I would put 2 more baffles by the intake of the sump. The one probably does not do enough to help them disperse.

thanks guys, there are bubbles in the sump so i'm positive they are coming from the water going into the sump. i will try putting a couple more baffles in there. i also bought some filter fiber that i am going to try and stuff between the baffles and see if that does anything. we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom