Immortal algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I tried manual removal, algaefix, Kent tech, various creatures, etc etc. I know this isn't a nutrient thing. My levels are fine, to the point I can't get any other algaes to grow!
I am running phosban and even purigen. The purigen is still as white as when it was first placed in there.

The only thing all these treatments did was irritated my corals. Most are just clinging on it seems. As fast as I scrub the rocks it's back in a few days worse.

I am going to reduce to a 20 long (it's my 29 now) with a sump and try this again but I was hoping to use my same rocks since they are live already. I was going to pick the o es I wanted out and put them in an aerrated bucket with zero light for a few weeks in hopes it would just kill it all off for good but my fear is once placed back in a healthy enviroment it will just come back. I have no idea what's feeding this stuff honestly so there is not doubt the smallest amount left on a rock will once again just carpet the tank once again.

I'm at a loss with this tank. My buddy has the same stuff so I'm sure it's from some store we both purchased at or he gave it to me on a frags he passed me long ago.

How often you change water and what are you using? I have a similar issue.

Purigen won't do much towards what is feeding your algae issues. I would keep at what has been stated with the running of the gfo along with large water changes with ro/di. A 50% water change twice a week would put a huge dent into things. Algae issues are never solved overnight and can sometimes take months...it can be beyond frustrating. Even in my tank I have this disgusting brown algae that I can't seem to get rid of...but the system is barely 6 months old and it can still suffer from swings as it ages. Keep at it, I know it is rough.

I only use rodi water and do a large'ish water change every week.
5 gallons on what is maybe 22 gallons of water.
I'm just beyond frustrated, this has been MONTHS, and is only getting worse not better.
I'm thinking my rocks are probably leeching something the algae like but I've just noticed it growing on my gsp again and even some small shells!
This is not the normal algae. I wish I could get it tested to see exactly what it is but it won't die and comes back faster than it can be pulled out.
I'm looking to reduce tank sizes anyway due to my time and go sump this time but don't want to fork out for new rock. If I can black a few rocks for a couple weeks and kill it all id like to but I'm afraid it will just return once back in lighted, heated water.

This stuff is actually growing ON my power head!!!

I used to believe in rocks leaching...then here several months ago I watched a BRS investigates video where they were talking about it and how unrealistic of an idea that is. I then threw the leaching theory right in the trash.
Algae in our systems can be beyond frustrating. It will grow on everything, like you are experiencing. I've been through it when I had to keep my 55 reef going off of distilled water from the store. Was terrible.
Can we see a picture of the algae? We've been talking about it for some time now. It'd be of assistance to see if this is either a hair algae (also including byropsis), dinos, or diatoms. This could move us in a different direction, as I still feel that we are talking about something that will be solved via manual removal and large water changes. Right now you are only changing out 22% of the water column and this will require them to go larger to almost 50% with 10 gallons twice a week as long as corals don't throw a major temper tantrum.

Which creatures have you tried? And have you tried turning off the lights for c couple days?

Hang in there Nick I encountered it too back in 2011. I called it the miserable 12 at the time I was undergoing my first round of kemo , how I did it I don't know sick as a dog
my cayno turned to red slim .

back to back water change sucking out what I could each time , not feeling well 2 weeks later the tank still looked horrible .

as I sat in a chair I removed rocks 1 by 1 scrubbing each one , since all the rocks were in buckets I did the unthinkable and stirred up the tank and sand than sucked out all the cruddy water , everyone thought I was nuts I'm Ill shouldn't be doing this

anyway I refilled with fresh clean saltwater (RO/DI) put rocks back in the next day the rocks had looked as if the cayno was coming back but to my surprise it didn't ,

I used to believe in rocks leaching...then here several months ago I watched a BRS investigates video where they were talking about it and how unrealistic of an idea that is. I then threw the leaching theory right in the trash.
Algae in our systems can be beyond frustrating. It will grow on everything, like you are experiencing. I've been through it when I had to keep my 55 reef going off of distilled water from the store. Was terrible.
Can we see a picture of the algae? We've been talking about it for some time now. It'd be of assistance to see if this is either a hair algae (also including byropsis), dinos, or diatoms. This could move us in a different direction, as I still feel that we are talking about something that will be solved via manual removal and large water changes. Right now you are only changing out 22% of the water column and this will require them to go larger to almost 50% with 10 gallons twice a week as long as corals don't throw a major temper tantrum.

I'll put some pics up tomorrow. Is def gha your bryopsis. My diatoms, cyano, and even some beginning of bubble algae, among dinoflagolites all died off. This just keeps getting stronger.
I tried blacking out for for days. Everything I've done had destroyed my frags but nothing for this algae.

Skimmer seems fine, just that I'm always adjusting the height from evap and top off. Another reason I want to redo the setup with a sump.
Here's a pic. I pulled some earlier in the week but it's just getting discouraging.
When you pull it, it either breaks and stays attached to the rock at the base or actually pulls a small chunk of rock with it.

$ per gallon is going on here till Feb, so I'm grabbing a 20 long in a week or two and doing a rebuild.

IMG_20171230_172708.jpg

Can you ever be sure

Thing is I've thrown some macros in there and they never grow or just die off. Even zoa's which supposedly like dirty water.
Like I said to I threw a purigen in there to see if that would show me anything and its still near New after many weeks. I would think if my trates and/or trites we're high that would show something.

Most of my corals look like crap now anyway fr multiple attempts to kill this alage so starting over might re enthuse me a bit. Just have to make a setup for my fish in the mean time or risk a quick swap with them when the new tank is up

I’ll challenge zoas liking dirty water. They can just be hardy.
The purigen acts similar to actives carbon. It won’t do anything towards nutrient issues.
I’d take that like this. Pull each rock out individually and scrub it down in a separate container. Once all the contaminated rocks are ‘algae free’ they can be replaced.
Follow this with two 50% water changes in a week.
This will remove the most amount of nutrients and algae in one swoop. Scrubbing the rock will also pull out any gunk that is decaying on the rocks that could be feeding the algae.

I’ll challenge zoas liking dirty water. They can just be hardy.
The purigen acts similar to actives carbon. It won’t do anything towards nutrient issues.
I’d take that like this. Pull each rock out individually and scrub it down in a separate container. Once all the contaminated rocks are ‘algae free’ they can be replaced.
Follow this with two 50% water changes in a week.
This will remove the most amount of nutrients and algae in one swoop. Scrubbing the rock will also pull out any gunk that is decaying on the rocks that could be feeding the algae.

I've actually taken the rocks that can come out multiple times for scrubbing. It's usually back full blast I'm a week.
I'm changing it all up anyway so it's gonna be a scratch start.

Where are you kh and ca parameters? My kids tank looks similar. We Hand picked the algae, a few 75% water changes then added Asterea snails Chemi pro elite (not blue) seemed to help

This cleaned up most of the issues. Parameter neglect showed up again. This time we removed the substrate.
More water changes.

It comes back but just do to neglect. But with no substrate recovery is very quick. Also increase flow.

I maintained the tank for 2 months and the tank did not fall back into algae hell. I find GHA is Phosphates. GFO or chemipure elite helps.

My guess is your parameters are good because of the algae. Do you use substrate? If so remove it first. Do you have mechanical filter? If mechanical filter clean ever 2 days for a month.

Large water changes on days that you haven’t cleaned your mechanical filter media.

Wow 54seaweed, way to beat cancer and your algae at the same time! Great advice... mechanical removal with a stiff toothbrush(s) in the crevices with biweekly pwcs is the golden ticket to winning. Algaes will always be there knocking on the door to come in and take over. Standfast with a toothbrush in your hand at the ready. [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom