indentification of this and removal solution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaticlife89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is this? Its taking over my tank and I hate it. Its growing way too fast and I dont know how to remove it from the tank. Is it harmful other than aesthetically? Any info is much appreciated!

ForumRunner_20130627_185550.jpg

ForumRunner_20130627_185559.jpg

its a sponge, they are good filter feeders, i would leave it if i were you, but if its a must some angels will snack on it

I dont have cyano, just red algae. I was wondering about the white thing. Any idea of what species?

Yeah I will tmr when my lights come back on! Its more of a red velvet kind more than slimy but ill take a couple shots so you can see it well.

is it hard or soft, its possible its coralline algae, i've had it form branches, atleast i think it was coralline algae, i used to use purple up which would grow a redish coraline algae while maintaining high magnesium calcium and alk makes a nice pink/purple encrusting algae

Its hard and very thin. I've taken a sample of rock to lfs, the manager said it was nothing to worry ab and it was a type of red algae. So im not too worried about it. Plus I've had the tank running for like 5 years, no negative effects from it. Grazers even grub on it during the day. Heres a picture of my tank, and before its even said, I know I have too much live rock!

Cant figure out how to keep my picture from flipping!

ForumRunner_20130628_092038.jpg

It doesn't look like you have too much rock. It just looks like the rocks are to big. They look like boulders in there, no real caves for fish to hide and play.

Its hard and very thin. I've taken a sample of rock to lfs, the manager said it was nothing to worry ab and it was a type of red algae. So im not too worried about it. Plus I've had the tank running for like 5 years, no negative effects from it. Grazers even grub on it during the day. Heres a picture of my tank, and before its even said, I know I have too much live rock!

Cant figure out how to keep my picture from flipping!

View attachment 183107

There is such a thing as too much live rock!?! 0.o

Looks great you have plenty of room on the sand for stuff. Fish will find all the holes to swim thru and plenty of frag spots. Just blow your rocks off with a powerhead before wc.

Yeah its tough keeping all the debris off of the rocks. They have plenty of caves and coves to swim through. I just hate all this sponge. Its ugly and hard to remove. Any idea why its growing? Also, do you think my fish are staying smaller because it benefits them with all this rock? Theyre a few years old and still reletively small. 3-4 inches on a blue tang and yellow tang at 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom