Informations on liveaquaria.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for some stocking advices and am just wondering are those informations available from liveaquaria.com accurate?

I mean care level, temperament, reef safe informations are they really dependable? For example I am not quite sure about blue tang I thought they are not meant for beginner and butterfly fish also. When they say "easy" does that mean shouldn't be hard at all? I thought blue tang get ick very easily why would they recommend for beginner since it is "easy" to take care of?

I am also interested in getting other fishes but need to be 100% sure with the fish's profile first before I buy them.

I would assume that when liveaquaria says easy versus difficult it is referring to things such as feedings. For example, a mandarin is listed as difficult because of their feeding requirements and general dependency on pods & mature tank. It is true that the Blue Tang is easy to take care of, but liveaquaria does still acknowledge that this fish is more susceptible to many fish diseases. In my experience, although I am still new in the hobby, their information is credible & reliable and is a good starting point. But, as with any animal, one fish may not fit the general description...so a peaceful fish may be very territorial, or may be a picky eater. HTH

I think chizzle hit it on the nose. I would say the BEST advice would be to look there and a few other places, and post here, for people's personal experiences. That way, you have a variety of advice and can go with the majority.

That leads to my question. I love the blue tang so much it is a must for my tank. But they get ich easily. In what condition will they get this? I have a 132g, I know space is an issue to but this size tank will solve this problem. Other factors? Stress? If so what kind of stress? Water quality? Stress cause by other aggressive fishes? Temperature? pH? I need to make sure that it won't get ich in my NEW tank to start with...

I'll have to defer to the tang folks. I do know stress can be caused by shipping, other agressive fish, water conditions....By the way, do you have a QT?

Yes I have a 20g nano which I can use the acclimate the blue tang first but it is only a 20g? I thought space is an issue and I can't put it in there to quarantine isn't that going to cause stress not to mention a trip home from the LFS? That's double the stress if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom