Installed some hood fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this was kinda a try it out thing but happy with the result so far. I had two fans from my computer lying around so I hooked them up to a plug and glued them to the top of my tank. I was trying to get the temp down a little bit from the lights ( just regular fluorescents T12's ) Tank was always a few degrees hotter then the room couldnt understand it. I also took the covers off as well. Now the tank has been very cool , room was 79.6 today but tank never got above 75.9 . I raised my heaters temp because I would like to keep it at 76 instead of 74.3. Now the only down side I have seen is with the fans blowing across the water and my covers off is my evaporation rate is more then tripled but happy none the less. Anyone have opinions? should my tank be sealed? is it bad to blow across the water? anything? I like my results so far unless this is a bad thing also my T5 lights will be here friday so no more T 12's. Check out photos! Through my starfish in to show youall

there's nothing wrong with using fans to blow across the top of the tank (the air flow will increase evap though). The only comment I'll make, is that I run my tank @ 81-82F. Do you have specific critters that you're running at that temp for? Seems a little cool to me.

I keep mine between 79-82 degrees constantly. I have a plenum built into my hood and have to 6 inch fans sucking air out of the ends. It works perfect for me.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom