interested in true and false percula clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got done QTing my first two false percula clowns. I'm ready to add them to my 40 gallon display tank. By the way, I spent the good part of a week raising the SG to 1.025, the same SG of my display tank. They look much better now than they were at 1.008. I've decided that I want to dedicate my tank to false and true percs with a couple of anemenies of the same species. What species do perc clowns prefer? I'm thinking of purchasing two more false percs and four true percs. That would be a total of eight percs, four of each type along with two or three anemenies. I have actinic lights to keep the anemenies healthy. Would this be feasible? I've always been fascinated by perc clowns interacting with their anemenie hosts! Do I have to feed the anemenies anything and how often, if so? Right now, I have 2.5 inches of LS and a few good sized pieces of LR in the tank. The tank is filtered by a 330 gph penguin bio wheel filter and a hang-on-the-back protein skimmer along with a small power head for additional circulation.

Not sure about the anemenie . But if you just treated for parasite with hypo, then I would wait and watch them for a couple of week to be sure there is no reoccurance before placing them.

8 clowns sound over the limit for a 40g bio-load. I'm thinking they also might get territorial in such a space and have problems.

On the anenomes, I gotta wonder when you plan on adding them assuming your tank is still quite young.

I agree, seems like too many fish for a fourty gal.. Remember, it is not a good idea to mix clown species in such a small tank. Stick with one mated pair for best results. As for the anenomes...what type of lighting do you have? Remember anenomes need strong lighting in order to survive. As mentioned earlier, they also do best in established reef tanks. I recommned waiting 8 to 12 months before adding one. They are not easy to keep and require the highest water quality. Good luck...Lando

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. My 40 gallon tank is already fully cycled and ready for fish. I'm planning on adding my two false percs which are in my QT tank now sometimes next week. I'll add a few other small non-clownfish to the tank down the road. I havn't decided which ones, yet. As you know, I was originally planning on adding eight percs of two species to the tank with three anemenies, but I'm going to stick with the one pair that I already have and buy a single amenenie for it. It would be heartbreaking to watch multiple percs become territorial and kill each other. Gee, I thought percs were the most tolerant of each other unlike other clown species. Anyway, I have a Coralife daylight actinic bulb in my light fixture. What type of anemenie would be right for my false percs? I don't want to buy the wrong anemenie and have my clowns ignore it! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom