Interesting coralline algae observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepseadan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just thought I would post my coralline algae observation. For over a year with my red sea max factory lights (t5) I had very little coralline growth. My water parameters were perfect, but still next to no growth other than a over my powerheads. After a move, I had to sell that tank. I purchased a sea clear 2 90 gallon tank with new wave point T5 ho lights. For five months I kept my water parameters perfect, still basically no coralline. I even dosed purple up from time to time in hopes something would grow.
I then saw a type led light which was in my price range and looked great as well (shadow effect). They were the Ecoxotic Panorama modules 8000k 453 leds. I purchased 7 and spaced them around 4" apart other than the ends which is 6" from the end. All my corals are doing better than ever, even my 3 sps corals. Love the color, glittering shadow effect as well. Enough said about that. What caught my attention more than anything was the almost immediate burst of coralline, both tons of purple and green. My old lights were still only a few months old, definitely not bad. My new leds created an immediate major change. Are leds that much better? Is the shadow effect creating a temporary light break, which coralline needs? Everyone I've spoken to says there should be no difference, but there was, literally to the day. Anyone else experience what has happened to my tank.

I had a problem growing coralline algae for the past several months with stock lighting, but after I put up my Current USA 6 lamp T5HO, it's growing like crazy. I'm now seeing red, purple, green, and orange coralline growing over all of the rocks and it's looking fantastic!

If you're seeing that much of a difference using LEDs as opposed to T5HO, then it most likely could've been your bulbs. A lot of people have been keeping successful reefs for many years using T5s.

Both my tanks were / are heathly with t5s, just no coralline. Maybe the spectrum of the t5s were the problem, red sea max were 50 / 50 10,000k actinic and my wave point were 12,000k and 460 blue. My new leds are 8000k / 453. Just to much of coincidence and I had two bulbs in my red sea max and 4 bulbs (2-12 and 2-460) in my wave point. Last, no negative algae growth either.

I have my stock t8 bulb and I see slow coralline algae growth on my LR. It's been maybe 2 months and there are spots growing. Also some purple bumps too. Just kind of weird since coralline algae didn't really depend on light I think?

I'm not sure how much light they need to grow, I've read up on it and seen what others have said but right now I'm drawing a blank. What I have noticed, and seen others say the same this, they trend to like more high flow areas. In my 55 gallon with 2 150w 14k bulbs halides, it grows all over my power heads and my over flow. But little growth else where. In my 150 gallon with two t5 ho (until I get my new lights set up) it is growing all over my center over flow but no where else.

I just checked and I have some under my flat rock that is used as the top of a cave. There is some light due to reflection and outside light but pretty little

If find that odd because I have a red sea 34 gallon that has been running 4 months and I am getting good growth in it.

I have come to the conclusion that some get and some don't, LOL! I have been trying to grow it for a year now, water parameters are perfect, I have T5 HO's some blue, a purple, and a white, I think I might be getting a little growth not sure yet. I have found some spots. I have started dosing 2 part to keep everything balanced and see if the BRS 2 part will help over Reef Builder and Reef Calcium. I read up on it all the time and some can grow and some cant.

I have it starting to grow on the back glass of the tank I was wondering if I should scrape it off. My wife keeps asking what all the purple spots are lol.

Back
Top Bottom