intermittant usage of RO/DI unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I am fed up of my constant battle with algae in my marine tank. I have tried and failed miserably to reach a balance with the photoperiod to protect my coral but halt the algae growth and I've finally decided to remove the problem as opposed to mucking around with possible solutions. Rather than transport gallon upon gallon of water each week from my LFS and pay a fortune over the years, I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a system. Hence I'm looking for some advice on a RO/DI unit.

I generally change 10-15% every fortnight and top up to replace evaporation every other day. Hence I envisage using the RO/DI unit perhaps once a week/fortnight (storing top up water). Additionally I intend to move house sometime in the next year so I'd preferably like a system that was easily removable, could be used and stored on a fortnightly basis. However, I do not want to damage the unit by allowing the membranes/filters to dry out!

There must be loads of aquarium enthusiasts that share my problem so how do they resolve this issue.
At the moment I'm trying to decided between a 3 stage RO system with is portable (£50) and a 5 stage RO/DI system (£100).
Clearly if I go for the latter I don't want to damage the system with my ideas of bypassing for intermittent use (if indeed this is possible ).

Does any one have any thoughts or opinions - any help would be of great
assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Liz :D

it's my impression that RODI's guts are sealed and therefore will never dry out. My 6 stage is portable "enough".. it is probably 25 lb and took me a couple of hours to install, taking my time

bypassing isn't really an issue. it taps onto your cold water line (mine came with a T adapter which installed right under the faucet)

however, I'm not an expert at all, having only had one for 3 days.

I didn't want to "install" mine either. I connect to the faucet. I went to Lowes and bought a couple shut-off valves. I put one on every line where water can escape. So when I'm done I just turn off the water at the faucet and close up my valves. Now water stays in the system as if it were never disconnected. I pick it up and put it in the garage until next time.

I don't even use the shut-off valves, and mine is fine for the 2 weeks between my waterchanges (been using it for 7 months).

I get 001-002 TDS with my RO unit (Quality Pure, full size 24gal/day) so I guess drying out isn't a problem - just try and keep your open pipes pointing up ABOVE the membrane when it's being stored, so that water has less chance of dripping out. Use shut-off valves ideally, but these aren't totally neccessary.

Thanks.
I was sure someone here would be able to help me - I never like asking companies or the sellers on ebay as I don't always trust their replies 100% (I think they sometimes just want to sell their product).

I'll have a look around for the shut off valves you've mentioned, is that their official name? Also, as everyone has said the same so far, does the same experience apply whether it is an RO unit or a RO/DI unit?

Thanks again everyone. I love this forum - you aren't afraid to tell it how it is and are an invaluable source of knowledge - long may it live!

Liz

I'll have a look around for the shut off valves you've mentioned, is that their official name? Also, as everyone has said the same so far, does the same experience apply whether it is an RO unit or a RO/DI unit?

Yes :)

I love this forum too! :p And welcome to another UK'er. There aren't enough of us here :p

Hi Mark and you're quite right - I guess we're just slow to catch on to a good thing
:lol:
Can I be cheeky and ask how many stages does your model have? You said in an earlier post that you have a 24gpd RO unit. Just wondering if you have any tips for a first time buyer of an RO system.
I don't want to spend a fortune but equally don't want to get something rubbish when I could pay a little more for a better one. I'd rather get a system that was efficient, reliable and easy to find replacement parts!

Thanks again
Liz :D

Mine's got 3 stages - the water goes through a sediment filter which gets rid of the larger particles. Then it goes through a carbon cartridge which helps purify the water and gets rid of the chlorine/chloramines. Finally it goes through the membrane (the most expensive part to replace, almost the same price as the full unit itself! It should last from 3 - 5 years though, the other 2 carts have to be replaced every 6 months at about £20 for the two) which gets rid of most of the TDS (total dissolved solids/metals) etc. in the water.

I have a TDS meter that I put in my RO water after it's been done to make sure everything's gone smoothly. My unit gets the TDS down to 001-002ppm, from 150ppm out of my tap!

RO/DI is more efficient, but again it depends on the unit. I seem to have found a very good, quality RO-only unit, so I'm not complaining!

It's a QualityPure 24gal/day full-size unit - the same as the Kent one I'm told.

How old are you btw? :p

I got the filterdirect one for around $120 off ebay. it came with a pressure tank, which is IMO a must have for convenience sake. Many ood reports on these and on the canadian ones, both off ebay.

I got the Canadian equivilent for $100 with storage tank (aquasafecanada is the seller) sediment/carbon/carbon/ro/DI/carbon + some refill DI beads. Works just fine.

Installation was kinda interesting but thats mainly since I'm in an apartment and the cold water line was on of those integrated cheapy "valve + supply hose" assemblies budget contractors love. Couldn't shut off the cold water myself to replace the damn valve-hose assembly myself :)

So I'm doing 1/2" compression coupler -> compression to pipe thread supply line -> pipe thread T -> pipe thread to compression supply line -> sink

The T is fed with a pipe to compression line , and then a compression to 1/4" quickconnect fitting.

Whoever invented plumbing sizes needs to be shot.

I realise that I was being cheeky interogating you with personal questions about your RO system but honestly!!! :p

I'm 24.

Thanks again everyone for your posts.

Back
Top Bottom