Interpreting Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
My setup is about 35 days or so old, it's going through a diatom algae breakout and is turning from brown to green, and was wondering if my tank is cycled now or how decent looking are my test results.

Specific Gravity> 1.025

PH> 8.2-8.4

Ammonia> 0-0.25

Nitrite> 0

Nitrate> 0

Phosphate> 0.5 mg/L (ppm)

Calcium concentration> 360-380 mg/L (ppm)

Carbonate hardness> 196.9-214.8 ppm KH

I have a 20 gallon sump with filter sock and skimmer, 800gph fow rate. I keep the temp at around 78-80F and have a T5HO light. Can I start adding some hardy soft corals at this time? Some of the live rock I originally bought had purple mushrooms on it and they have been survivng the whe whole time. I think they are considered a hardy soft coral, so is it safe to start to add some other hardy soft corals? Or any recommendations for a hardy coral to put in?

Doesn't look cycled to me. You aren't finished until your ammonia drops to zero, nitrite rises and falls to zero, and your nitrate rises. Other than that, things look good except your calcium seems to be on the low side.

I personally would not add corals for a few more months to give your tank time to stabilize. Only a month along your tank is very unstable. Maybe add a fish first.

Back
Top Bottom