iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
iodine hey everyone wats the diffrence in kent marine iodine and regular drug stor iodine i have been forced to ask this by my mother is is trying to make me use regular iodine? wats the diffrence?

Hmmm, iodine from the drug store is probably more pure (just a guess), but the kent's is iodine/iodide. Look at the bottles of both and compare....

i have been talking to mike he said its just more potent i have a bottle here and some sites say you can use it the bottle i have is usp iodine tincture iodine 2% sodium iodine 2.4% alcohol 47% i have not found anywere that says not to use this type from the drug store and i have seen one post that says you can but i am still researching i dont chance my corals on one post.........

Personally... I wouldn't use either and would forget about dosing for iodine. If you're doing 10-20% water changes a week, you more than likely will never need it.

Doesn't answer your question, I know... but figured I'd chime in anyway!

There's an old rule of thumb I subscribe fully to...

"If you cannot test for it, don't use it." Especially now since you're talking about "regular" iodine as opposed to that developed for aquaria.

Water changes should do just fine.

What are you using it for anyway? Xenia?

BTW I`m not talking about dosing but I`m talking about an iodine dip. I would not dose for iodine either. That can be done with PWC`s as mentioned above. He said he had a toadstool leather that was looking bad. Not just your average sloughing. so I suggested an iodine dip.

if it were me, i wouldnt chance it. if you really want to, go to the Kentmarine.com website and try to find the values of stuff in the product, but no guaruntees

i did the dip with the iodine from drug store i had to take the chance because last night he was looking even worse than ever i think the dip helped because he opened up more and the yellow color on him is almost gone as far as the disintegrating edges it looks like they have gotten better and stopped spreading..... i am doing a pwc tomorrow its a 55 gal tank i plan on doing 14 gal... maybe to much? i always have done 7gal

Back
Top Bottom