Iodine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any solution for adding iodine to the tank? Any one uses any iodine suppliments? Or do you just perform water changes to increase iodine level? If there is iodine suppliments solutions, does it need to use the drip method to add to the tank like kalkwasser? Or we can just pour in the amount indicated?

There are two types of Iodine suppliments that I have seen. One is simply iodine, but the other is a delayed release or something of the sort. Basically, the second one is something you don't dose as often. According to what I hear, it's better to get a test and the regular iodine suppliment so that you can have better control over your iodine levels.

Also, depending on what is in your tank in terms of livestock and how often you do water changes, you may not need to dose iodine. Like you were asking, many people just use water changes to keep their iodine levels up.

IMO I would not Dose Iodine at all... If you are doing regular water changes there should be no need to add addt iodine to the system.. However if you feel that you need to get a GOOD quality (Salifert) Iodine test kit and test prior to buying or adding Iodine Supplements to your tank.. I believe NSW is .06ppm but dont quote me on that... I dont and most likely will never add Iodine to my tank.. I do weekly if not Bimonthly water changes and I see no reason why I should even test it..

HTH<
James

Bimonthly means every 2 months, you know..
I ment Biweekly.. LOL Every other week LOL Sorry Alot of stuff going on today LOL...

James

You don't need or want supplemental Iodine in your tank. It is toxic at very low levels. When iodide (ionic form of Iodine) is added to your tank the ligth changes some of it to Iodine which is not in a usable form for critters. It's not needed. You don;t need it for Xenia, mushrooms, shrimp or anything else. It is present in the food and in salt mix. I don't use it (used to) and my Xenia grow like a nuisance along with everything else. The best thing you can do for your corals to get them to grow is put them under 6500K metal halides. (that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it)

Mark

Back
Top Bottom