Iodine for skunk shrimp ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a skunk shrimp in my marine tank. What do i have to feed for it ? Heard that they need iodine for molting ? What do that mean ?

Feed it whatever you feed your fish...it will eat when they eat.

Do not add iodine to your system, unless you test for it, and then never exceed .06ppm. Regular water changes should be enough to maintain your shrimps needs.

Really? I dose with iodine once a month (same time I do water changes) and the only time I've ever lost shrimp is when I've failed to dose - or crushed them under a rock I dropped...

Do you have any more information on the effects of dosing over .06 ppm?

thanks!

Do you have any more information on the effects of dosing over .06 ppm?

Nope, just that iodine is a poison, and there is no real evidence it does anything for any of our inhabitants. There is some antecdotal evidence that iodine can improve the color of some SPS and shrooms, but nothing concrete. I do not advocate the use of iodine without testing, because it is too easy to overdose, once per month isn't dangerous, but some have the opinion that if some is good, then alot must be great, and nothing could be further from the truth. Iodine is an antiseptic, it kills things for a living, it is found in NSW at .06 ppm (that's 6 parts per billion), and there is no need to exceed that level in our tanks, exceeding that level could be extremely detrimental to our tanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom