Is a protein skimmer necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok hi im new to the saltwater hobby and have been curing my tank with everything for about a week and a half. The only thing that i do not have is a protein skimmer because i simply used up all the money that i could afford on everything else. Is a protein skimmer neccessary for a FOLR tank? And if i do need one could i buy one later when i can afford one? and also what is a good brand? i have a 40 gallon tank and i heard aqua c makes a good one called remora. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Welcome, 40 gallons is on the fence as far as a PS for a fish only tank. You can get the same results with a weekly PWC. You can also get one later and I have no exp. with the Ramora, but I don't hear to many bad things about it.

alright thank you sounds good. If in the future i wanted to add some anemones or soft corals, i would need a protein skimmer right?

Protien skimmers remove dissolved organic compounds that cause excessive nutrients in the tank which fuel nuisance algeas. IMO you should get one unless you plan on doing frequent PWC`s and I mean religiously.

alright thank you sounds good. If in the future i wanted to add some anemones or soft corals, i would need a protein skimmer right?

Any reef tank (with the execption of nano's i believe) you have to have a skimmer. Trust me, get a skimmer even with your FOWLER. You'll hate all the water changes

IME, aqua-c's remora skimmer is of very poor quality. go with an octopus HOB skimmer.
that said, skimmers are not necessary. you can keep a reef without a skimmer with proper husbandry.

IME, aqua-c's remora skimmer is of very poor quality. go with an octopus HOB skimmer.
that said, skimmers are not necessary. you can keep a reef without a skimmer with proper husbandry.

I have an Octopus BH-300F for my 125g. This is the first skimmer I have owned. This things pulls a ton of stuff out of my water. It produces a ton of bubbles also. I would recommend this skimmer to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom