Is an algae Blenny safe with corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive heard mix reviews about having an algae blenny with som sps's and clams (foster). I was just wondering if he would be ok with some LPS's? TIA

As far as I know they are safe. I know many people that have them in reef tanks.

In terms of stocking your tank, would you consider an algae blenny something that adds a lot to the bio load or more of the lines like an invert (in terms of bio load). The only reason why I ask is that I have a 29 gallon reef and probably only going to have a total of 4 fish. Right now I have a gramma and a mandarin. I would like to add the blenny because I hear they are great algae eaters, but I do not want to crowd the tank (there are other fish I am thinking about getting). Would the algae blenny affect the fish load? ITA.........

To put it into perspective, my blenny is about 5" long but blennies are more streamlined. It adds more bio load than an invert, but less than say a 5" puffer or lionfish.

A mandarin in a 29 might not be a successful venture. How long has the tank been set up? I see you have about 40 lbs of lr. It's recommended they have about 100 lbs of lr and a good pod population to live off. You may find the rare specimen that eats frozen food, but that's not very common.

If I keep adding pods to the tank shouldnt it not be a problem. I ordered some live pods off the internet and should arrive on wed. If I keep on populating the tank with them shouldnt there be enough food for the mandarin to survive. I plan on cultivating pods in a seperate tank (plan on getting a fuge at a later date). I know about the froxen foods, I tried feeding him that when I first got him but no success. Im gonna stick with the pods and try to grow some on my own.

Back
Top Bottom