Is buying a RO/DI worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm buying my RO/DI water from the LFS at 50cents a gallon. Is it worth it to buy a RO/DI filter? I mean with the time it takes to process the water, space to do it, buying replacment media for it. Should or shouldn't?

A filter will save you $ in future and it's nice to be able to make water whenever you need to.

if you have have the $ to burn for I recommend it.
Just make sure it makes a several gallons an hour.

I got one off ebay for $120 or so including a pressure tank and a faucet.. it's filling my 54g right now... It took me a couple hours to install (taking my time.. I'm no plumber) but I say it was certainly worth it. Also, I now have great water for my morning coffee.

Dont get anything smaller than a 75GPD model. I have a 100GPD model and I can fill a 30gal trashcan in a 6-7 hours.

The space it takes up is next to nothing. when you compair the space your buckets take that you use to transport your water. I have two 30 gal trashcans. one for fresh RO water and one to mix saltwater in. My RO unit sits on a shelf next to these trashcans or you could mount it on the wall. YOu can also use the RO and waste water for other things so it not as wasteful as you would first think.

How much water do you buy a month? If you had the ability to make water on yourown would you do more water changes? I always look at the RO unit as an investment vs an expense.

Yes, I made the mistake of using tap water once and had a fish die. I figure you invest all this money on livestock and equipment why not spend a little bit more money on water

My RODI is in a cabinet next to my downstairs sink (big set tub). I drilled some holes in the cabinet to run the water in/out of it as needed.

Mine is a 100gpd, but it's slow because my well water is 52 degrees and around 40-45psi.

I have mine hooked to my washing machine water with the easy hose adaptor. I run warm water through it to help speed it up. They say optimal water temp is around 70 degrees to get the max water production. My pressure runs from 50-35. RO/DI well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom