Is distilled water safe to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So is distilled water safe to use? is it better then tap water treated with softner?

It`s better than tap. I used distilled for top off water for seven yrs before I got my RO/DI unit. It`s not the best but it`s better than tap water.

well i need to wait 2 more weeks before i purchase a ro/di unit, expensive stuff! thanks melosu

Definitely better than tap water. Did you check out ebay for a RO/DI unit? I think I got my 6-stage unit for about $100.

If you're buyign RODI at the grocery store it's a good idea to check it with a TDS meter. Not everyone is dilligent in changing filters when they are exhausted.

I've checked several and they were all below 12. I wish I could get water from work. They have a H_U_G_E rodi. its a dialysis center

I should say, it is RO, DI is not good to drink.(so I've heard) 12 is better than the 270 from the tap

Below 12 sounds like RO. That's about what I get when the filters need to be changed. RODI come out at 0. At a tds of 3 - 5 I change the DI resin.

Can you not buy RO water from your LFS store? Thats where I get mine.

Can you not purchase RO water from your LFS store? I get mine there for 50 cents a gallon

I know my LFS sells RO/DI water but the problem is do they change the filters like they are supposed to.

Mine does, I mean they use that same water for their water and they are an excellent family owned store. I don't know what else to suggest I guess it depends on whether or not you trust your store.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can (and should) test the RODI water from whatever source. I test it coming out of MY RODI unit. I would certainly test it coming from a lfs and tell them to call me when it reads ZERO if it doesn't when you are there.

I agree with what was said about the LFS. When I purchased rodi water from an LFS when I first started, I tested the water when I got home and it had 50ppm of Nitrate. I called the store and he said, "oh yeah I need to change my filters."

Back
Top Bottom