Is he a good sand cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a pink spot watchman and he sifts all day long there are little piles all over my tank. Where there is not a pile there is a hole from him taking a gulp.

ForumRunner_20120418_213551.jpg

Hondachico said:
That could be pretty cool to have a relationship with the shrimp and the goby but will the pistol shrimp harm any of my other tank mates?

Nope, he's actually helpful. I've had a problem with macro growing in my tank and he cuts it and takes it down in the hole. I'm not sure if he eats or not but if it's growing where he can get at it, it's gone.
Here's a pic of them.

ForumRunner_20120419_034247.jpg

That's pretty good then I'm going to go to my other lfs that's 5 mins further and check to see if they have one

After what you guys showed me about the twin spot I just bought one today

The gold head sleeper gobies sift all day and filter through their gills. That's how they eat. They will also take food from the water Column but mine mostly sifts the sand. He shares a burrow with a yellow watchman also so they are friends. The watchman I have seems to come out at night and eat amphipods. Only thing is u will periodically have to even out the sand because with all the sifting he will make huge mountains and my fighting conch has trouble climbing them. Not to mention sand all over the substrate dwelling corals get covered sometimes

When I got the twin spot I got him because at my lfs all he was doing is just eating sand and sifting it out the gills

The twin spot can be a difficult fish to keep though, it relies on food from the sand and unless the tank has been established for awhile it won't find food in the sand.

Oh theta one thing I have a lot food in the sand lol my floor is filled with algae

Lol sorry new to this, well there should be something in there because I took out some sand once and there was moving things in there

I went around my house to see my tank and saw my new twin spot at the top of the tank just swimming with the current, is it normal for them to be at the top?

carey said:
Just keep an eye on him is all. :) Maybe he will eat regular frozen food that you feed the others.

I agree Carey I didn't know much about the 2 spotted goby when I bought mine...he ended up dying . :(

Back
Top Bottom