Is Instant Ocean any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good question...is Red Sea salt the same.... I'm useing Instant Ocean....but my LFS sells Red Sea salt also.

ive been using it for ten years and cant think of anything negative to say its always done the job for me

I have been using it for 2 years now...is it worth it to spend the extra money on something else such as reef crystals?

I've been using Instant Ocean for about a million years now and see no reason, nor ever had one, to change now. I recommend it as well

IO and Reef Crystals are made by the same company. The difference between the two is that Reef Crystals has a Higher Calcium level in properly mixed water, and i believe additional trace elements for corals and Inverts. IO is better for FO or FOWLR tanks, IMO.

I also use IO, but I'm a newbee. I have had no problems with it (except for caking). I buy it and dump it in a bucket andwhen I go to use it it's caked up. Oh well still disolves just fine.

Adding a small mesh bag of rice will keep the moisture from the salt and probably prevent the caking. I read once when the humidity gets to it and it cakes like that, the Mg has precipitated out to some extent, have no idea whether it is true or not.

justmy2cents i buy it in the bucket it is cheaper in the long run and the lid seals and keeps it from caking and it takes me a while to go through the bucket i used to buy it by the bag and it would cake up like what your saying which made it harder for me to keep my measurments consistant

I just switched from IO to Tropic Marin, didn't like the chemisty of IO. The few extra bucks is worth it in my book :)

Back
Top Bottom