Is it bad to use freshwater feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard it's not good to feed freshwater feeders to saltwater fish. Is that true, if so why.

yes its true, one because saltwater fish ver would neaver eat freshwater fish so the diet isn't appropriate, also they can introduce disease into the tank

I dont think freshwater disease is an issue, its the fatty acids that are lacking in FW fish that give SW little if any nutrional value. You could convert mollies to SW to use as feeders and after a second generation was born in SW they would suffice as feeders.

You cant transfer a FW disease to a SW tank! Thats why some people do FW dips for there SW fish and SW dips on there FW fish to kill disease. Once in a while i dont think would hurt but i would'nt make that there permanent diet. But it is cool to watch :twisted:

First off the FW dips kill parasites, not viruses and bacteria, second if your only gonna do it once in a while, buy a cheap shrimp

The dips may noy kill viruses and bacteria but on the same note they cant be transfered to a salt tank!! Google it you'll see

xxmoorishmanxx said:
First off the FW dips kill parasites, not viruses and bacteria
True but the difference in pH as well as the saline environment will. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I have a lionfish that will only take feeders. If you are going to feed feeders, it is best to stay away from goldfish because they are very high in fat and bad for the liver of the saltwater fish. Ghost shrimp that are gutpacked with a nutritious marine diet are best but they are too clear and small for my lionfish to see, so he survives on platies. It is the best I can do for him. Sometimes you have no choice. I continue to try to convert him to frozen. Occasionally, he will grab a piece of frozen shrimp, but not enough to survive on.

at some lfs you can buy mollies already coverted to sw it is not always the most nutritional thing but better then having your fish starve also it takes over a year to kill a sw fish form fw feeders if that is its staple deit try to convert to frozen nut still fun to feed live as a treat good luck

Back
Top Bottom