Is it OK to cycle with fresh water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 30 gallon tank the other day. I threw some base rock in it and filled it with water. I threw some astrea snails in it that arrived dead in a shipment.(man they stink) Does anyone see a problem with this? After the cycle I will start adding the salt with the water changes.

the bacterias are not the same.....the system needs to be salt from the beginning.

Yeah, what Hara said... the bacteria that grows in the FW is not the right bacteria and will die when the salt is added (then you'll have to wait for the *right* bacteria to bloom). You'll need to get the salt in there ASAP to take proper advantage of all those odiferous snails you have in there!

Are you finally getting close to adding fish into that system?! What fish are going into QT?

Yep, if you cycle fresh, and then add salt, the bacteria's cell walls with explode due to the osmotic change from the sudden increase in salinity...and then you'll cycle all over again.

If only it were so easy ;)

that's why if you put SW in a septic tank the tank fills up..... all the poo-eating bacteria dies.

The snails were just put in today so no harm done. I was thinking I could not cycle with FW but figured I would ask.
Phyl: This is not the QT. Just a tank I bought for the heck of it. It may become a QT though before it is over with. In QT tanks I currently have 4 percs, 4 chromis, and a niger trigger. They are going through hypo now. (thanks steve s)

Ahhh. The 30 turned 65 syndrome. The next thing you know you'll have 2 525's in the house! LOL!

Were the fishies sick? Or is this preventative?

I had one chromis that showed symtoms right after I got it home. None of these are showing any signs.
This 30 gallon was purchased as a another QT tank but it now has a nice new stand and has made its way into the dining room. Who knew?
A freight truck just pulled up and delivered my new improved/larger sump/refugium. I guess I will be busy tomorrow.

A chromis showing signs of ich?! Man he must have had it BAD! They don't usually become symptomatic. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

Have fun with that sump! Whoohooo! How many gallons is that bad boy? What was wrong with your current sump?!

Every time I see "900lbs LR" I just about faint at the thought! Whew!

I my current wet/dry sump was not big enough and I wanted a refugium. I am keeping it as a wet/dry and adding this one to it. The new one will add a 100 gal refugium area. I will have 2' bulkheads/pipe between them and will run the return line from my UV over to new refugium/sump for circulation. At least that is the plan.

Back
Top Bottom