Is it too late...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
... to dig into my sand so my rocks sitting on the glass and not the top of the sand? Tanks only been up for 8 months. Just dont want to stir into something nasty and have a melt down.

If you do push them into the sand I would have some SW made up and do at least a 25% PWC after you do it. Then test a few days later to see where you stand. BTW I`ve never had my LR come down in the 12+ yrs I have had a tank. I personally dont think that is an issue but if you feel safer then go ahead but like I said have some PWC water ready.

hmmm, alright. Ill take your advice. Ill hold off on it and just keep an eye on the bullet goby(when i get him that is) and if i notice anything ill take action.

It depends on how deep your sand bed is. If it is deeper then 1-2 inches i would try and push the rocks down closer to the glass. The bullet goby probably won't make it unstable enough to topple your rocks but i did have a diamond goby that dug out such a big den that the roof sunk in and i believe it smushed him and the scissor tail goby that share the place with him.

Like mike said. If you do it just make sure you do a water change after and maybe run a filter sock/sponge for a couple days if you have one. You can also just do it a little bit at a time. Start one one end and move around a few rocks each water change until you feel that everything is stable. The chances of anything happening are very small. Like mikes tank you could probably go 12 years and not ever have anything happening but it is easy to fix and i would go the better safe then sorry route.

It depends on how deep your sand bed is. If it is deeper then 1-2 inches i would try and push the rocks down closer to the glass. The bullet goby probably won't make it unstable enough to topple your rocks but i did have a diamond goby that dug out such a big den that the roof sunk in and i believe it smushed him and the scissor tail goby that share the place with him.

Like mike said. If you do it just make sure you do a water change after and maybe run a filter sock/sponge for a couple days if you have one. You can also just do it a little bit at a time. Start one one end and move around a few rocks each water change until you feel that everything is stable. The chances of anything happening are very small. Like mikes tank you could probably go 12 years and not ever have anything happening but it is easy to fix and i would go the better safe then sorry route.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to respond.

I have 2 to 3 inches of sand and the rocks are about half way down in to the sand. I have a Jawfish that has dug out huge cavern under almost every rock and nothing has shifted at all. However, I do have a pretty solid aquascape and the bottom rocks are fairly wide at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom