Is my 29Gal FOWLR tank adequately stocked or could I add a couple more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I’m pretty new to saltwater fishkeeping, and definitely still learning, so any suggestions and/or constructive criticism is welcome.

I started with a 15 gallon pico reef tank with a couple clowns and various inverts about 5 months ago I think, but quickly realized that was a nightmare so I upgraded to a 29 last month. For the most part, things seem to be going much smoother, but I’m still not very well versed on how exactly stocking a saltwater tank goes, and I definitely don’t want to overdo it if I haven’t already.

Equipment:
Marineland Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter (rated for up to 97 gal)
Fluval M100 heater set to 78-80°F
Hipargero 30w Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control

Fish:
1 snowflake ocellaris clown
1 aiptasia eating filefish
1 lawnmower blenny
4 green chromis

Inverts:
1 chocolate chip sea star
1 blue leg hermit crab
1 emerald crab
2 red leg hermit crabs
1 cerith snail

If advisable, I’d like to add 1-2 more chromis and/or 1 more clownfish, but after writing out that list, it feels like I have quite a lot already, so I figured I’d ask some people who probably know a lot more than I do about it. I’ve included a photo of my tank for reference, and I’m planning on getting a lot more live rock soon. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_6329.jpg

You’re far better off adding more rock work to give the fish some security and places to hide and retreat too in case of aggression from other tank inhabitants, before you explore more fish. That said, once you fill it up more with rocks, you might be able to get a better idea of who hangs out where, and how much available space you have for new fish. For instance, your lawnmower blenny likes to stay on the rockwork and your chromis are more open water.

I agree more rock is needed. Maybe another 20 lbs give or take. Also the chocolate chip star might not be reef safe. Mine was not. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom