Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2021, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is my 29Gal FOWLR tank adequately stocked or could I add a couple more fish?

Hello, Iím pretty new to saltwater fishkeeping, and definitely still learning, so any suggestions and/or constructive criticism is welcome.

I started with a 15 gallon pico reef tank with a couple clowns and various inverts about 5 months ago I think, but quickly realized that was a nightmare so I upgraded to a 29 last month. For the most part, things seem to be going much smoother, but Iím still not very well versed on how exactly stocking a saltwater tank goes, and I definitely donít want to overdo it if I havenít already.

Equipment:
Marineland Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter (rated for up to 97 gal)
Fluval M100 heater set to 78-80įF
Hipargero 30w Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control

Fish:
1 snowflake ocellaris clown
1 aiptasia eating filefish
1 lawnmower blenny
4 green chromis

Inverts:
1 chocolate chip sea star
1 blue leg hermit crab
1 emerald crab
2 red leg hermit crabs
1 cerith snail

If advisable, Iíd like to add 1-2 more chromis and/or 1 more clownfish, but after writing out that list, it feels like I have quite a lot already, so I figured Iíd ask some people who probably know a lot more than I do about it. Iíve included a photo of my tank for reference, and Iím planning on getting a lot more live rock soon. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6329.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	322376

Old 12-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Youíre far better off adding more rock work to give the fish some security and places to hide and retreat too in case of aggression from other tank inhabitants, before you explore more fish. That said, once you fill it up more with rocks, you might be able to get a better idea of who hangs out where, and how much available space you have for new fish. For instance, your lawnmower blenny likes to stay on the rockwork and your chromis are more open water.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree more rock is needed. Maybe another 20 lbs give or take. Also the chocolate chip star might not be reef safe. Mine was not. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, fish, fowlr, stock, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com