is my clown tough enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJtuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 tank is undergoing some maintnence lately so it only has 3 fish: a small lunare wrasse, a seargant major, and a small percula clown(about an inch long). I've had him for a while now and nobody bothers him but lately he seems to be losing energy. He swims much slower, has to fight the current constantly, and barely keeps up to the others at feeding time. I'm beginning to wonder if he is just too small for this tank right now and maybe i should return him to my LFS before he becomes too stressed?

well, my clown is the hardiest fish in my tank. So, if you're noticing stress issues with him, the first thing I would do is check your water parameters. Also, if you don't already you can soak the food in Selcon and/or garlic--can help his immune response.

Any signs of disease on him?

There's no such thing as him being too small for the tank....mine was only a half inch long when I got him and now he's almost 2 inches.

Is the damsel or Wrasse aggressive to your clown? Also the Lunare Wrasse is a fairly aggressive/large fish and should not be kept in a 55 gal IMO. More then likely the clown is stressed either due to sickness or aggression issues. I would QT him for observation and to separate him from your other aggressive fish for awhile. If you plan on making this a reef or getting inverts then I would return the wrasse. Even if you do keep him it will need a larger tank in a couple of years.

Edit: From your previous post you mention a Kole Tang having issues and battling a bad algae breakout.

Since you only mention 3 fish I assume your Kole passed. Posting your water parameters ie: nh3/no2/no3/sg/temp & po4 if you have that test would be helpful as well to try to get these issues resolved.

Back
Top Bottom