is my light strong enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derdy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey just wondering if my light is strong enough for my tank. i have a 36 gal tank with a 96 watt 50/50 pc bulb.
in my tank i have 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny a clown goby a skunk shrimp and several snails and hermits.
for coral i have a kenya tree waving hand green polyps and orange polyps and just wanted to know if my light is good enough for what i have.

hey just wondering if my light is strong enough for my tank. i have a 36 gal tank with a 96 watt 50/50 pc bulb.
in my tank i have 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny a clown goby a skunk shrimp and several snails and hermits.
for coral i have a kenya tree waving hand green polyps and orange polyps and just wanted to know if my light is good enough for what i have.

Sufficient for fish only..... but corals? Your wattage is kind of low. For your tank, you need a minimum of 144 watts total to keep some corals happy. It is common practice to figure 4 watts per gallon for a light system. Thats just minimum though.

It might be enough for moderate light soft and LPS corals. I would think you have moderate lighting.

Kenya tree is IMO a weed and will pretty much grow under any lighting conditions. They will grow better under strong lighting but will do ok with the lighting derdy88 has.

You weren't wrong...The better the lighting the better that coral will do but it will deal with most lighting conditions. I'm just not a fan of it or xenia...

well it seems alright its just that the tank doesnt seem " full of light" its a brand new light aswell. my kenya tree started as a frag was open for a week i fed it phytoplankton. it closed for a week then reopennend twice as big.
i was just curious i bought a orange polyp frag from my LFS and it was open in the store so i glued it to a small piece of rubble LR and it hasnt openned yet and this is day 3 . is this normal?

and while i have you guys here i have a few more questions ( instead of posting several more threads)
1) im thinking of later adding a royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse ( wise or not so wise)
2) would later in a few months get a maderin. i dont have a fuge whats the best way to get a pod population going and keep it plentiful.
3)friend of mine fragged me a piece donno what it was he said his is worth 300 dollars. umm forget the name. anyways so i glued it to a rock and placed it in the center of the tank closest to the light . my hermits keep picking it off ( ive caught them twice doing it) only at night though. and no its nowhere to be found they picked at it so much that i only found i tiny piece that prob. wont make it.

and while i have you guys here i have a few more questions ( instead of posting several more threads)
1) im thinking of later adding a royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse ( wise or not so wise)
2) would later in a few months get a maderin. i dont have a fuge whats the best way to get a pod population going and keep it plentiful.
3)friend of mine fragged me a piece donno what it was he said his is worth 300 dollars. umm forget the name. anyways so i glued it to a rock and placed it in the center of the tank closest to the light . my hermits keep picking it off ( ive caught them twice doing it) only at night though. and no its nowhere to be found they picked at it so much that i only found i tiny piece that prob. wont make it.

1) I would go with one or the other.
2) This is not a fish for your size tank nor is it one that should be added to a tank that is less then a year old or one that does not have a refugium. Madarins feed almost entirely on live food. Copepods. Your tank will not have enough of a food source to support this fish.
3)Hermits are good at cleaning and they are also good at causing issues. Depending on what the coral was it may or may not survive from the small piece that is left.

alrighty thanks .. well i guess that gives me an exscuse to go bigger :) i think my next tank will be a 100 gal or so :)

i was just curious i bought a orange polyp frag from my LFS and it was open in the store so i glued it to a small piece of rubble LR and it hasnt openned yet and this is day 3 . is this normal?

What kind of polyp is this? Is it a Zoanthid? If you superglued it to a rock and got the glue on it's mouth it could have caused a problem. When gluing zoas to rock you have to be careful. You only need a pin heads amount of glue to get them to stay put. Can you find a pic of this polyp on the net and post it so we can see what you are talking about?

no no sorry its not the zoo's that are worth 300 dollars he fragged me this coral it looks like a tree but didnt make it since the crabs had to pick it off several times

so royal gramma and 6 line wrasse wouldnt go good together ?.... anyone know which one would be a better choice for my tank thanks alot for everything

The six line may be aggressive towards the gramma. The gramma is a shy and docile fish. I have a Gramma and love the color. I had a six line that I couldn't keep in the tank. I kept finding him in my fuge.

really so you think the six line will pick on everything els in my tank( perc clowns. lawnmower blenny clown goby )

Back
Top Bottom