is my pistol shrimp too active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
once i got my YWM he has never stayed in his burrow. Besides the regular sleeping part, hes always going out really far all over my tank and moving corals and going on my rock and attacking my rocks. He will just climb up a rock as far as possible from his home, use his right big claw and start clipping at the rock. I have no idea why, it doesnt seem to do anything

the annoying part is that he rearranges my corals from anywhere. I have a button polyp on a rock, sitting on my rock, and he moved the entire thing 3 times to try to use it to cover his burrow. He also keeps moving the sand around my GSP

not sure what i can do to make him stop moving my corals, it is annoying because i cant set up my scape well, it has to do with moving things where he cant touch them

Your pistol shrimp will do that again and again and again and again and well.... You get the point. Glue just like my buddy said. That's the only way!!

I've come home to find my entire sand bed and corals rearranged.

ill look for that when i go to my lfs. I have another question

i noticed in the past 2 weeks my crabs have been hard to find, they mainly all sit on the same rock at the top of my tank. They used to be on all rocks all around the sand too but i have not seen them on the sand bed for a while. One of my crabs is inside a huge shell, and that shell has not moved in 2 weeks, although i know he is inside. I can see his legs move sometimes and sometimes he completely retracts

i have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 1.025~ salinity and i use ro/di water. I dont know why my crabs are being seen less, i feel like they dont really move from rock to rock as much. I only started noticing when i found out one of my crabs was gone. He was trying to transfer from a small shell to a newer one, and later in the day i came back to find both shells empty and his body missing. Since than I have been keeping track of my crabs, which are 4, and they almost never move from this one rock! maybe only at night but still less active

once i got my YWM he has never stayed in his burrow. Besides the regular sleeping part, hes always going out really far all over my tank and moving corals and going on my rock and attacking my rocks. He will just climb up a rock as far as possible from his home, use his right big claw and start clipping at the rock. I have no idea why, it doesnt seem to do anything

the annoying part is that he rearranges my corals from anywhere. I have a button polyp on a rock, sitting on my rock, and he moved the entire thing 3 times to try to use it to cover his burrow. He also keeps moving the sand around my GSP

not sure what i can do to make him stop moving my corals, it is annoying because i cant set up my scape well, it has to do with moving things where he cant touch them

Yeah, without a goby, they're too scared to come out much, probably due to their poor eyesight. But once they get a goby, they get more brave and venture out a lot more since they have a buddy looking out for them.

And yeah, you'll have to glue those frags down for sure. Mine used to use them as doors too. :)

Back
Top Bottom