is my protien skimmer too big...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75gal tank and a wet/dry sump. i also have a aquac ev-180 protien skimmer. when i place the skimmer in my sump, it takes up a lot of space. i feel that it will cut down on my water volume. so i was thinking about switching to a HOB skimmer like the remora. i was also considered moving the ev-180 to be external instead of the in the sump, but i would use precious space in my stand.

i would appreciate any advice or comments.

A big skimmer is a good thing! If you can find a way, I would not size down. Maybe running externally will be the answer.

I would set it up externally also. The AC 180 is a fantastic skimmer and you won't get near the performance from any HOB that you'll get from it.

looks like the consensus is to use the ev-180. i guess the problem is that i bought the skimmer one size larger than required thinking that someday i will get a larger tank. if i had bought the ev-120 i probably wouldn't have the space problems. i will look into plumbing it externally.

Or you could just sell your skimmer to me :lol: !

Yeah, that's a really good skimmer. I always hear people raving about that one. Externally sounds like a good plan.

If you do decide to go with a different skimmer, pm me. Maybe we can work something out like I buy you your new one for you and you send me your old one.

Nice pic of your puppy, btw! What's his/her name?

well, thanks for the offer to do a skimmer deal, however, i decided to keep and put it in the sump. if install it externally i have to raise the unit so the gate valve clears the top of my sump. doing that will raise the skimmer higher than i can fit under my stand. instead of installing the skimmer externally, i decided to use an external in-line sump pump to make room for the skimmer and the skimmer pump.

our boxer puppy's name is Buster... he is about 10 wks old.

instead of installing the skimmer externally, i decided to use an external in-line sump pump to make room for the skimmer and the skimmer pump.
(y)
Excellent, if there ever is a problem, much less chance of a flood.

Back
Top Bottom